2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heatercore/Dash Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
bassman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heatercore/Dash Please help

I have a '97 Blazer4x4. The heater core is shot. I am trying to take the dash out to get to it. I even saw pics by someone called shadowhawk on how he did his. But, after taking most of the front off and dropping the column, I cannot see the actual bolts, etc that disconnect the actual dashboard. Today is sunday the 11th, and I need the car on the road by tomorrow afternoon or it may mean my job. Please help. I've been on this for 2 days now. Can't see how the dash disconnects from the firewall. Please help.
Bassman

Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Heatercore/Dash Please help

I don't know whether or not you did a search for 'heater core removal', but there are a lot of postsconcerning the methods. Hope they help.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I did after I wrote. I got the dash loose. It is only connected now by a wiring harness under the right dash that will not come loose no matter what. I undid the little clips but it won't come apart. I had to quit for the day after standing there trying to get the wire harnessloose and the wind blew the door shut against my head. I am now have blood pouring down the side of my head, soI think it is time to take a long break from it. Thanks anyway.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

are you talking about the plug that has a bolt in the center of it that you have to unscrew to unplug?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

No. Looking at the dash there are 2 large wiring harnesses held together by plastic clips underneath the right hand side. The one clip came apart easily. The other, even though it is all loose, will not come apart. No bolts at all.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

Well, finally got it in. Broke the heater control switch. Superglued it back together. But just found out the damn little nubs that are at the side of the dash, that the door hits to shut off the lights and that annoying buzzer, both fell out somewhere. So the car starts. Still runs hot, and the interior light stays on all the time unless I disconnect the battery. When I have the key in and the car is running, that damn buzzer goes on all the time. Is there a way to bypass the thing and trick it into thinking the door is shut? Thank you.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point

I had problems with that little door plunger also. Had to stick something between the plunger comeing out of the dash and the door when I closed it or buzzer would stay on. There must be a way to disable it because I had the car in Missouri for the football season and sent it to this place called Sparks Auto in St. Charles to have the oil cooler lines replaced ( too darn cold up there to work on the car, I live in AZ.) Anyway, when I dropped it off for him to look at the oil cooler lines I told him to look at the door switch and headlamp switch too. He gave me an estimate for all the work and I told him fine, would bring the car back in a few days. After I took the car home I noticed they took the plunger out of the side of the dash and no more buzzer sounds. I imagine all you have to do is find the wires and connect them to make a continuous loop in the electric so it makes the car think the plunger is pushed in.