2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP Blazer is idling very rough

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM
blacer2000 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP Blazer is idling very rough

Hello to all members.
My 2000 Blazer is idling very rough. I was driving and I put the car on reverse and I notice it started acting up, then I parked it and now idles very rough. At high RPMs runs much better. The car has no trouble starting and the exhaust smells very rich. There are no codes as of now.
The fuel filter has been replaced recently and it is running the same gas as a week ago. There doesn't seem to be any leaks nor exhaust leaks. Any ideas????Thanks in advance.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Start with a fuel pressure test:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM

I checked the EGR valve and it was not stuck. Is there a way that even though it is not stuck it could still be not functioning?
Today I will check for the fuel pressure and will post results. The car starts fine it just idles bad. I should see a pressure of less than 55psi for it to be bad right? How does the smell, like it is running rich explain a Bad fuel delivery????Would it not be the opposite? Too much fuel no sparks?
Also, one of the screws for the distributor cap is broken and I can move the cap with my hand. It does not move when the car is started and I even tried holding it. Could this be it???? I did this all at night so hopefully I can look at it today before is dark. Sorry about all the questions, it just that I need to fix this fast because it is my only car. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM

I found out that the distributor was loose and it banged up everything inside. I went I bought a new distributor cap and rotor but the actual screw hole in the distributor is broken in both sides. That is how it got loose. I held it in place and the car runs perfect. Anyone have an idea to fix this up without having to replace the whole distributor just because the threads are broken? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could try drilling out the holes a little larger, filling them with epoxy, and then drilling them back out to size again. It isn't going to be easy.

You could also grab a used distributor from the junkyard for fairly cheap.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM

So if I decide to get a new distributor from the junkyard how would I remove it with taking he engine out?Is possible right? All the instructions I have seen do not say anything about whether the engine is out or not. It seems like the distributor is too long to just come out. Any tricks? Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Unbolt it and pull it out of the block. Done. You'll need a 10mm wrench to get the bolt at the base of the distributor out.

This picture shows the distributor retaining clip that is a few inches below the top of the distributor: