2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Overhead temp display

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
highlife756 is on a distinguished road
Default Overhead temp display

The temp display on my overhead console usually shows "--" but every now and then will show some crazy temp for a few seconds or sometimes "OC" when I first start it. Is this the ambiant air temp sensor located behind the grill in front of the radiator?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your sensor is bad. You can check the sensor by testing the resistance per the chart below:

Old 11-16-2009, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Mine has been reading "SC" for a few years now. Maybe I'll get a sensor from the local upullit and see what happens.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Well, just got back from the junk yard and for the price of admission ($1) I got three sensors. I didn't have the blazer with me and was going off what I remeber the sensor looking like.

Two of the sensors I got had a single probe sticking out the end of the plug and the third one looked like it had two probes in the plug itself. I knew I had a single probe but I figured what the heck.

The two single probes worked and are only 1 degree off from each other but they are a bit bigger than my stock sensor. The double probe gave me an "OC".

So, for fiddy cents each I got a working OHC temp guage and a spare sensor. I remember a few years back I asked about at the dealership and they said it would cost $40 to do a scan to find out what the problem was and then however much to fix the problem.

Sure am glad this issue came up. I'd completely forgot about it not working as it has been awhile.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

So you enter for a $1 and walk away with 3 sensors? lol...is there an extra cost for the parts?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Sisk
So you enter for a $1 and walk away with 3 sensors? lol...is there an extra cost for the parts?
They do have a price list but I've found for small items they don't even charge. I've gotten plugs for the headlights free plus a few other small stuff for free. I did find a complete hydroboost brake system out of an Astro van. May go back and see what they'll let that go for.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a complete hydro boost from an astro in a box in the garage. Free from a wreck that we cut up for Auto Extrication training.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran

I'm thinking that that hydroboost might come in handy if I ever bring myself to do the almighty SFA.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have the same situation with a local U-Pull it yard. $1.00 admission and most of the time I am looking for small parts. Either free or under $5.00. My most recent trip was for the plastic skid plate with the Oil Access cover. I found one in good shape. $3.00. I also got two power window switch covers (Passenger/Driver side) for under $5.00.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Damn...I wish we had one of those places around here lol.