2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP!! truck runs like crap after LIM gasket change ses light flahes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!! truck runs like crap after LIM gasket change ses light flahes!

i changed my intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets about a 2 weeks ago. after i was done it ran a little rought but smoothed itself out after a day.then i started to hear a ticking noise like a sticky lifter or something( not to sure)and i was a quart low of oil so i changed the oil since debris probaly got into the crankcase. but still had ticking noise.so i drove it for a week and the had th etime to put seafaom in fuel and into vacuum lines.then 2 days later, on my way to work the SES light started flashing with codes p0304, p0101 and p0108, i cleared the codes and only the misfire code went away still had map and maf codesand while pulling into the rest area where i meet a carpool the truck was running real rough and when i shifted to reverse to back into packing space it stalled out. so i started it back up still running rought and reversed into space but also had really no brakes.(pedal was hard to push an barely stopped me.) later i had to drive it home stil running like **** but it made it and the brakes got a little better but after pressing the pedal down half way it wouldnt go down any more and i would lose braking power. no it sits in my drive way waiting to get fixed but i have no idea where to start!! plaese help this truck (and all of my other vehicles i have ever owned) has been giving me nothing but problems. and i dont want to sell it like i have done in the past

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Start with the codes:
P0101 - Mass Air Flow System Performance
P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure [MAP] Sensor Circuit High Voltage

You could have a short in the wiring somewhere that is affecting both sensors.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Start with the codes:
P0101 - Mass Air Flow System Performance
P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure [MAP] Sensor Circuit High Voltage

You could have a short in the wiring somewhere that is affecting both sensors.
or could be just like mine. I had both those codes. Stalled on highway. Got it to restart. Parked a week. Started it up and was backfiring through the intake. Took the MAF out and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. Replaced the MAP and haven't had those problems since. It's been about 4 months now.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Starting Member

i was told by my mechanic that the master cyinder is bad and a have a vacuum leak which is causing those codes and the engine to run like s**t. could that be possible? i dont see the aster cylinder causing the map and maf sensors codes to pop up and run liek s**t

Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

master cylinder has nothing to do with that. vacuum leak I can see causing a map code.
Have you cleaned the MAF?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Starting Member

I cleaned the maf when I did the LIM gaskets. But also when it ran like crap I did not have brakes. The pedal would only go down half way then would get real hard to push and I would lose brake power. How do I check the master if it is working properly? And how can I tell which vacuum line is leaking

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did he possibly say brake booster? A bad booster can cause a lack of power assist to the brakes as well as a rather large vacuum leak.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Starting Member

He said master cylinder. And vvacumm line. I think its a vacumm line from master to boosts

The vacuum line that was deterioted comes from re egr would that cause it to run poorly

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-04-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Administrator

The vacuum line for the brake booster runs from the intake manifold to the booster. There is no vacuum line on the EGR valve.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Starting Member

ok not the egr it went from the sensor in the intake manifold to that little bubble thing on the hood. But that did nothing anyway. I changed the master cylinder,maf sensor ,map sensor,and it still runs like crap.its. Missing real bad too but I just did plugs wires cap and rotor not to long ago. In out of ideas except for changing plugs butim running out of cash quick

Quick Reply: HELP!! truck runs like crap after LIM gasket change ses light flahes!