2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP!! truck runs like crap after LIM gasket change ses light flahes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Replacing sensors without diagnosing the problem is a sure fire way to run out of money. Go through the code sheets. Diagnose the issue. Test the wiring.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
40boy is on a distinguished road

You said you SeaFoamed it.

Did you add it thru the brake booster vacuum line? Did you re-seat it properly? Is that vacuum line cracked?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road

yEa I did it through brake booster vac. And I'm pretty sure its in properly. And i just double checked it again yesterday whil i was trying to fix it. And that line is not cracked or leaking

Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

it is possible for a poppet on the spider to clog when you took it apart and put it back together. ive had that happen before. mad it misfire and all kinds of stuff. i was gonna take it to a buddys shop and have him pump some injector cleaner through it but it worked its way out the day i went to take it up there and has been fine ever since and that was about a year ago.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Starting Member

could it be possible that the RTV that i put across the front and back of the intake manifold to mot have cured intime before i drove it and now that causing the vacuum leak? i dint know i had to wait 24 hours before i drove my truck after reinstalling the mani. so i think the rtv didnt fully cure and now is not sealed?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Yep, not likely but possible.. how long was it, till you fired it up?

I guess you could find that with a propane torch.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-08-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Starting Member

it prolly took me about 6 hours to reinstall evverything and then i drove it home from a friends, then drove it for 2 weeks (100 miles a day mon-thurs, and just around town on weekends) till it finally took a poop on me.
and how would a propane torch help?! besides lighting my truck on fire!!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Unlit, siily wabbit.

Disconnect IAC connector, set throttle to keep it running counting turns and write it down so you can adjust it back!

Point UNLIT propane torch to any possible areas of vacuum leak. Listen for rpm changes. Sometimes Rpm will go up, sometimes down..doesnt matter.
__________________________________________________ _
That's ALSO how you start balky 2 cycle snowblowers in the winter.

Though mapp gas works even better for that.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Starting Member

i think im just gunna find a new motor and swap it our. the old motor has 180k miles and has given me nothing but problems!!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

swapping motors is a possible solution... BUT if the newly swapped motor causes the same problems, then you still won't know what happened. It is better to troubleshoot the motor you have now. LEARN about it, instead of blindly fixing things. im sorta in the same boat, changed my lim and head gaskets, now my light blinks and gives me the 300 code. Instead of swapping motors (the easy route, don't learn a damn thing) im trying to troubleshoot and figure it out WITHOUT blindly throwing money at things. Which also causes me to LEARN so that if it happens again, I know what to do.

Like I said, if you don't know whats causing this problem and swap motors, the same thing might happen to the next motor and then you're still screwed since you don't know what it is. I don't know your cash situation but i know swapping motors isn't cheap or easy. Do you REALLY plan on swapping motors everytime something goes wrong?

When you did your tune up, did you use delco parts or after market? Best thing to do is to listen to these guys on here. They know what they are talking about. If they didn't they wouldn't be trying to help you by telling you to do these little tricks like with the propane torch and such. Maybe like its been said, the atv didn't seal all the way and it's just a leak on your manifold.

EDIT-
Just because the motor has 180k on it, doesn't mean its ready for the garbage shoot just yet. If taken care of, it will be strong and run like a champ. You just got to have patience with it. You can't just jump right in and say "Oh this thing has x amount of miles, its garbage now." A Motor is not an old pair of shoes that you just throw away. When you got this truck, did the previous owner take care of it? If they did, did they provide the paperwork for anything done to it, such as receipts and such? If not did you witness the work being done to the vehicle? The point to that is anyone can say that they did a crap ton of work, but with no paperwork or receipts then its just words. Doesn't mean it has been done. If you bought it brand new, did YOU take care of it? Routine maintenance when it was due and things like that? One thing I was taught growing up: If you take care of something, it will last forever.

Last edited by Senshi09; 08-10-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP!! truck runs like crap after LIM gasket change ses light flahes!