2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help w my 99 no start, have fuel and spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
shnafu is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition coil!

Turns out coil was not strong enough... Even though I had a blue spark... Now new prob. I temporarily hooked it up forgetting that it had to be grounded, drove for a mile and it shut down. Obviously I fried the coil, but I replaced and still no go... What did I mess up along with the coil???

Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shnafu
Turns out coil was not strong enough... Even though I had a blue spark... Now new prob. I temporarily hooked it up forgetting that it had to be grounded, drove for a mile and it shut down. Obviously I fried the coil, but I replaced and still no go... What did I mess up along with the coil???
Check the ICM. It may not be commanding the coil to fire. Most auto parts store can test them for free.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The ignition coil does not need to be grounded. The electrical connector to the coil supplies voltage and ground.

It is possible for an ignition coil to cause the ignition module to fail, and vice versa. As Burned mentioned, probably a good idea to check the ignition module. Keep in mind that the results from those testers are not 100% reliable.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The ignition coil does not need to be grounded. The electrical connector to the coil supplies voltage and ground.

It is possible for an ignition coil to cause the ignition module to fail, and vice versa. As Burned mentioned, probably a good idea to check the ignition module. Keep in mind that the results from those testers are not 100% reliable.
Thanks capt,
I'll go get a icm tomorrow and try cause now I have no spark at the coil, the coil is new, and the auto store said my module was good but I take that with a grain of salt. So my prob has changed a lil but still, no start. If I have no spark now at the coil and that's brand new it must be the icm. Could I have maybe messed up the PCM? I read somewhere that I could have effected that when I burned out the coil.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
spittybays

Absolutely positively nothing more frustrating then these intermittent problems.
Are you sure your getting voltage to the pink wire at the coil?
If it starts again run a tap wire from the pink wire to inside the cab and hook it to a multimeter . If the power drops out when it stalls, might be a place to look.
Just a thought.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:55 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shnafu
Thanks capt,
I'll go get a icm tomorrow and try cause now I have no spark at the coil, the coil is new, and the auto store said my module was good but I take that with a grain of salt. So my prob has changed a lil but still, no start. If I have no spark now at the coil and that's brand new it must be the icm. Could I have maybe messed up the PCM? I read somewhere that I could have effected that when I burned out the coil.
Why not test the ICM?

How to Test the GM Ignition Control Module

Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM
spittybays

nothing wrong with testing the icm but the pink wire with the key on has to be hot

This from Capt. Hook "DCV 20 volt range.
Test leads where they are in the image.
Hold the black probe to battery negative.
Hold the red probe to the pink wire on the ignition coil.
Have an assistant crank the starter while you watch voltage.
Also watch it when turning the ignition to the OFF position, (when you got the sputtering).
Post your results. "

Last edited by spittybays; 06-13-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
nothing wrong with testing the icm but the pink wire with the key on has to be hot

This from Capt. Hook "DCV 20 volt range.
Test leads where they are in the image.
Hold the black probe to battery negative.
Hold the red probe to the pink wire on the ignition coil.
Have an assistant crank the starter while you watch voltage.
Also watch it when turning the ignition to the OFF position, (when you got the sputtering).
Post your results. "
It's always something stupid!
All that trouble and it was just not a strong enough spark... Even though I had a blue spark, and new coil just plain didn't work at all.
Thanks all for your help, and a special thanks to capt hook!
Of course I tried new parts on everything else... Except the coil cause I saw blue spark. All and all I didn't spend a ton of $. I needed a new distributor anyway the old one had seen better days, and the rotor!
Thanks a million u guys are awesome!