2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

High rpm at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I don't believe that it should unless the computer is recognizing a problem and does something differently as a result..

Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

Thanks Les,
I appreciate all your help!
Later

Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Starting Member

Well, after a week and a half, it seems the old ghost is coming back.
Kinda just a ever so slight hesitation at normal driving speeds. I re-checked the codes and I'm still getting a p0442 Evaporative Emission (evap) system small leak detected and p1122 Throttle Position (tp) Sensor circuit Intermittent low voltage.
Later Guys

Old 02-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Well, after a week and a half, it seems the old ghost is coming back.
Kinda just a ever so slight hesitation at normal driving speeds. I re-checked the codes and I'm still getting a p0442 Evaporative Emission (evap) system small leak detected and p1122 Throttle Position (tp) Sensor circuit Intermittent low voltage.
Later Guys
Sorry to hear that. Focus on the the P1152. The P0442 won't cause you a performance problem - just pollute environment.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Starting Member

Okay, this morning I was headed to Oriellys to grab some spare oil. All the way there and back I was getting bogging effect I think. Just for a split second it would bog and then pick back up...over and over. I would actually see the tach drop by a couple hundred rpms and then go back. I was running about 40 mph.I had cleared any codes before I left and when I got there I had Orielly read my codes just for a comparison.
The only code it showed was some kind of sensor that said it detected a front end collision. The vehicle has never been in an accident. I'm wondering if he had the correct info entered for the scanner.
All this time I've been chasing the engine...could this be a transmission issue that's trying to kick in or out ?
Just wondering...
Thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Okay, this morning I was headed to Oriellys to grab some spare oil. All the way there and back I was getting bogging effect I think. Just for a split second it would bog and then pick back up...over and over. I would actually see the tach drop by a couple hundred rpms and then go back. I was running about 40 mph.I had cleared any codes before I left and when I got there I had Orielly read my codes just for a comparison.
The only code it showed was some kind of sensor that said it detected a front end collision. The vehicle has never been in an accident. I'm wondering if he had the correct info entered for the scanner.
All this time I've been chasing the engine...could this be a transmission issue that's trying to kick in or out ?
Just wondering...
Thanks
Could it be the torque converter clutch engaging and disengaging? It should engage under very light throttle at 46-47 mph in overdrive and RPM should drop several hundred over a couple of seconds until it is fully locked up. You should be able to watch this by monitoring the TCC slip speed on your scanner (you have Dash Command if I remember correctly). After engagement, my TCC will disconnect and rpms go up several hundred if you just tap the brakes enough to trigger them electrically (PCM sees this). In my experience, once locked up you can keep the TCC engaged down to around 42 MPH in overdrive if your throttle is light enough.

Is something still going on with your throttle position sensor? You might want to monitor that as well to see if it is giving any readings that are not smooth or that are unreasonable or correlate to what you are feeling.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Starting Member

Well, I just got done making a couple of probes for my multi meter. I'm going to try testing the voltage on the tps connector this afternoon..hopefully. I looked around yesterday at the wiring harness, plug wires and things in general. I didn't see any bare wires or anything touching where they shouldn't.
I'm about ready to give up and go to a mechanic. I kinda wish whatever it is would just quit all together, might be able to find it then...lol
btw, which pid should I setup to monitor the tcc slippage?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Starting Member

i found CALC.GEAR.SHIFT_INDICATOR but what kinda of values does the gauge get?

Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 AM

GM.ENGINE.TPS in General Tab should display the throttle angle in Dash Command.

I guess I assumed that Dash Command had the TCC slip speed - I can't find it on mine either.

I do know that Car Gauge Pro and Torque Pro both have TCC slip speed as I have used both to display it, but if I remember correctly Car Gauge Pro does not work for Enhanced GM PIDs on your 1996/1997 vehicle. I have no idea if Torque Pro will work for enhanced GM PIDs (still no CMP retard there) on your 1996/1997. I tried to ask the forum in general some time ago about Torque Pro with 1996/1997 but received no responses. If you want to read TCC slip speed, for $5.95 you may want to try Torque Pro. I would certainly be interested. It's a very nice app, but just can't do CMP retard. What do you think? Are you game? Alternatively, you can probably feel and see TCC engage/disengage by watching your tach.

Les

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-20-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Starting Member

I'm not seeing that particular pid. I purchased the enhanced pids but how do I check to make sure they're enabled?

Quick Reply: High rpm at Idle