2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Horrible Gas Mileage on my New 2004 4.3ltr. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Horrible Gas Mileage on my New 2004 4.3ltr. Help!

i think i have seen that magnet thing, i believe the mythbusters tested it on one of the episodes. they found that it did actualy work and that the federal trade commision found the same results. it was miniscule like 3% at best but it did work. i has to be mounted as close to the engin as possible if i remeber right. but for $6 3% ant too bad. they also found that changing your driving habbits (ie staying out of it) could help by as much as 30%.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Beginning Member
supramacist is an unknown quantity at this point

For less than 6 dollars you could have proof read your post and added credibility to your statement.

Butcha DIDN'T did you.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 AM

damit i am deslexic i swer ne how i wont fix it cuz its funny nice catch tho i prof read that dam thing twice, and still missed it[:@]

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just for a comparison, 3% on one test is not by any stretch of the imagination repeatable. It must be tested numerous times. The FTC did these tests and found that the magnetic thinga-ma-giggers did squat just as stated on the website I posted earlier.

I've known plenty of people that have tried them. More than half ended up bringing their car to me with the CEL illuminated and trouble codes present for various sensors. Their troubles started when they installed this miraculous magnet. The rest of them never realized any change in their fuel mileage and I know that more than a few watched it like a hawk.

But hey, it's your $6. Just think of it this way, if it was only $6 and even if it were to increase your mileage by only 3%, don't you think that the automaker would have installed one from the factory?... 3% across the board increase in fuel mileage does a ton for CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy).

Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be that he has a K&N filter in it that has never been changed. The day I picked my truck up from the guy I bought it off with 104K on it, he said "By the way, it has some K and something air filter in it that NEVER has to be changed" haha. Needless to say it was BLACK and like tar. I whipped that filter out and have been using $5.00 FRAMs ever since. He was probably wondering why he was getting10 or 11miles to the gallon.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Beginning Member
supramacist is an unknown quantity at this point

That's hillarious blasir.

Some people have no business behind the wheel of anything.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:18 PM

swartlkk i am getting everything just like i said from the show mythbusters, so i am am not saying if its wrong or right just what they found, and i believe you 100% on the cel. i have heard of another device, it operates much like a fule filter i can not remember exactly what it does cehmicaly but it DOES work to the best of my knowlage. i believe the military bough a whole bunch of them to put on ther humvees in iraq. they are like $50 and do need replacem,ent but they last for along time like 50,000 mi or something ill c if i can find it.

ps. superamacasit can u proof read this one for me too?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM

i found this it sounds very similar (it might be the same exact thing) but i cant remember the name of the one im thinking of so i cant be sure.

anyhow http://www.p2pays.org/ref/13/12917.pdf

Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 AM
komodopb is an unknown quantity at this point

Update:

Alright, as I was driving on the highway this morning going to the dealer, the rpms at 60mph read 1700.
I definitely do not have a K&N air filter, however the filter in there looks brand new so I wonder if the dealer possibly swapped it out before I bought it.
As far as tires go, I'm not sure cause the car is still at the dealer and I can't remember what they said. Does P275 75r15 sound about right? The car only has 26k so I would imagine they are stock. I think the mfr is General - but again I'm not 100%

When I called the dealer in the afternoon, they said they were going to have to keep the car overnight because they were still diagnosing the problem - so it doesn't look too good right now. But I definitely appreciate all the responses and suggestions so thanks!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:52 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: komodopb

Update:

Alright, as I was driving on the highway this morning going to the dealer, the rpms at 60mph read 1700.
I definitely do not have a K&N air filter, however the filter in there looks brand new so I wonder if the dealer possibly swapped it out before I bought it.
As far as tires go, I'm not sure cause the car is still at the dealer and I can't remember what they said. Does P275 75r15 sound about right? The car only has 26k so I would imagine they are stock. I think the mfr is General - but again I'm not 100%

When I called the dealer in the afternoon, they said they were going to have to keep the car overnight because they were still diagnosing the problem - so it doesn't look too good right now. But I definitely appreciate all the responses and suggestions so thanks!
275 sounds a little on the large size...

At the biggest it should be 235/75R15...

Hopefully the dealership figures it out!

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage on my New 2004 4.3ltr. Help!