2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How dangerous is travelling long distance on busted motor mount? (tomorrow morning)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Beginning Member
Blazonaire is on a distinguished road
Default How dangerous is travelling long distance on busted motor mount? (tomorrow morning)

I've been trying to get this mount fixed, & finally got it started, then a snow storm hit and I backed off. Something just came up now and I'm considering driving 1200 miles in the morning with a couple friends, with the separated driver's side mount. I'd prefer to do the repair first but there's an event we're trying to make. I know it's not a good idea, but I'd like to understand the risk, i.e. just how bad an idea is it and does anyone have any firsthand experiences?

Worst case scenario the other mount fails from a bad rut in the road would we get a chance to pull over or possibly lose control of the vehicle?

From what I've seen a broken mount is totally separated with nothing holding it in place i.e. the through bolt no longer actively secures motor to frame once the rubber is separated? So it is therefore just floating and a big bump could make it jump out of place, for example.

There are the tabs up and down which limit it's rotation to a couple of inches and is that all that stops the engine from further travel? If that is correct I may have some bad news for the crew. Please advise. I'm ok taking the risk of damage to the vehicle, but not of loosing control from a dropped axle, or any other risk of accident. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Blazonaire; 11-13-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

No I wouldn`t do it.Who`s to say the other breaks then you`ll have to hike the rest of the way.To much involved incase something terribly happens.Mounts are there to cushion and hold engine in place.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

arent you describing almost every s10? i see broken motor mounts all the time at work and theres plenty of times the customers dont want to fix them due to it being a work truck. i remember buying a s10 years ago where the long bolt fell out of one side, if i gave it gas in reverse the motor would lift up a bit and come back down. if you really cant get it fixed by then im sure it will be fine, just dont hot rod the thing slow acceleration when coming from a stop.

i never really heard of any issues from broken mounts other then vibrations or banging around, would be pretty funny if you just floored it and the motor did a 180 and ended up upside down

Old 11-13-2015, 02:46 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Mine has a broken mount right now. Lasted less than 5000 miles since I replaced it. Maybe I'll fix it next Summer (see if I can put a bolt or something through it).

A Blazer motor mount is the last thing I would worry about during a 1200 mile trip. That engine is not going anywhere - it is attached to the transmission and transfer case which have their own mounts. Worst thing might be fan hitting on fan shroud if you jump on it hard.

A funny story... once I had a 67 Ford that cut the radiator hose with the fan when the motor mount broke. 289 in a Galaxy 500 with power nothing. No fan shroud from the factory. Now that one really raised up.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-13-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
Blazonaire is on a distinguished road

ha ha... glad to see this group has not lost it's sense of humor when it comes to putting one's life at the mercy of mechanical odds.

We scrapped the idea for now but I'm still 6 hours from home, hoping to buy another vehicle while I'm here in Denver since nothing came up while searching for 3 months at home. This city has a year round campground in the middle of the city !? and it's actually safe, with deer running around, even an albino fawn at the moment. $18 a night sure beats $135, even with the temp hovering in the 20's when the sun sinks.