2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How hard/involved is it to replace a AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default How hard/involved is it to replace a AC Compressor

Before tracking down and buying a used AC compressor from a junk yard i was wondering how hard is it to replace the compressor.

They checked out the truck today and showed me what was wrong but the quote to replace, install and get it up and running, they want $720can.

I have found a used compressor for $150can so may look at doing it myself if I can.

Tks,

Old 05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is not something I would ever do. You do not know if the system was working in the donor vehicle...

Say you get a perfect used compressor. You now have to add the appropriate amount of fresh PAG oil to the compressor (after draining it completely) and pump the system down with a vacuum pump. Some have not done this step and just went straight to adding refrigerant, but I would not do that either. The system cooling ability will be affected if all of the outside air is not removed. Now you can add refrigerant back into the system.

While you have the system open, I would clean and inspect the orifice tube as well as replace the filter/drier, but again, these may not be required things to do. To me, it is worth it to know that the system will be operating at peak efficiency when repairs are complete, not just half working because of a shortcut taken.

This is likely what the shop is planning on doing.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info. Rather pisses me off that it's that much. I can get one used for $125 but as you said it's better to know it's done right.

6200km is a long trip without AC but $720 is money I don't have. Bahhhh I hate money

Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A/C is one of those things that unless you have the proper tools ($$$) to do the job yourself, you really have to rely on someone that knows what they are doing to get it right. I have seen dealerships mess up an A/C system to where it would barely work. My A/C stuff goes to a refrigeration tech that we used to use on the farm for our tractors. That guy knows his stuff and is reasonable in his rates. When you work on everything from refrigerators for supermarkets to refrigerated tractor trailers, you learn how to do things properly so you only do them once.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Starting Member

Was able to get a great deal on a compressor but looked into it more to have it installed at a shop and just don't have the cash for it. Oh well, looks like there will be the old fashion windows down AC on the trip across Canada.