2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hub/bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009 | 11:34 AM
|
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hub/bearing question

OK, I'm confused. I thought when our bearings went, we needed to do hub assemblies, front and rear. (2001 LS, 4-door, 4WD, auto)

Talking to AdvanceAuto, they're telling me the rears are bearing-only, and they need to know a ring size ...

Old 06-18-2009 | 11:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hubs in the front only.

The wheel bearings in the back are dependent on ring gear size. ZR2's and a few select 5spd 2drs got the 8.5" ring gear. All others are the 7.625" ring gear.

For the rear wheel bearings, after you remove the wheels and brakes, you need to pop the diff cover off, remove the cross shaft in the differential and then remove the c-clips. The axles will then be able to be pulled from the vehicle giving you access to the wheel bearings..

Old 06-18-2009 | 12:21 PM
|
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Hubs in the front only.

The wheel bearings in the back are dependent on ring gear size. ZR2's and a few select 5spd 2drs got the 8.5" ring gear. All others are the 7.625" ring gear.

For the rear wheel bearings, after you remove the wheels and brakes, you need to pop the diff cover off, remove the cross shaft in the differential and then remove the c-clips. The axles will then be able to be pulled from the vehicle giving you access to the wheel bearings..
Got it, thanks!

Old 06-18-2009 | 06:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem! If you need any more information, just ask!

Old 06-19-2009 | 08:21 AM
|
Starting Member

Is there going to be any fluid that drains and needs replacing when I pull the axles?

Old 06-19-2009 | 12:47 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

When you remove the rear differential cover, all the gear lube is going to come out. It's a great time to hit the innards with a bunch of brake cleaner to clean it all out. Then add fresh oil when you reassemble. There are several tutorials for the rear differential on the site. I just did mine and refilled with Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. 75W90 I think. Just shy of two quarts.

Old 06-19-2009 | 06:50 PM
|
Starting Member

Do I need new seals or anything like that on the diff, or just the fluid?

Old 06-19-2009 | 06:53 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

if your chaning the fluid your going to want to throw a new gasket on as well.

Old 06-19-2009 | 07:19 PM
Administrator

You are going to be replacing the wheel bearings which should come with new seals. If they do not, get new outer axle seals. And I would say you could either get another diff cover gasket or just clean things up really well and use some RTV. Nice thing about the gasket is that you can fill it right away without letting things cure.

Old 06-22-2009 | 03:59 PM
|
Starting Member

Turned out rear bearings were fine. It was the u-joints, both bad. Up front, in addition to the one hub, upper and lower balljoints needed to be done on one side as well.

Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: hub/bearing question