2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member
youngone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help!!

I hate to be demanding but I'm in serious need of help.

I was driving my 01 Blazer LTZ in 4 hi through the snow when I hear this grinding type sound and then the front wheels locked up.

I pulled off to the side of the road and checked the front wheels.

Theres some type of wire on the drivers side that goes to the caliper(?) thats broken...what is that wire? Theres one on the passenger side as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wheel speed sensor wire maybe?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

Im not sure, I was thinkin ABS(?)

Something causing it to lock up in 4hi and I was hopin it was that wire....but not likely.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Wheel speed sensor wire maybe?
that would go to the hub, unless the op is thinking brake line as a wire

Originally Posted by youngone
Im not sure, I was thinkin ABS(?)

Something causing it to lock up in 4hi and I was hopin it was that wire....but not likely.
a speed sensor wouldn't cause lock up, i'd sooner think a caliper that isn't releasing well, can you jack it up and turn the tires freely

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-10-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
that would go to the hub, unless the op is thinking brake line as a wire
Im sorry, I forgot to add it runs next to the brake line but goes up into the engine bay.

All i Know is its an actual wire and not a hose.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its the wheel speed sensor wire. Your ABS probably locked up due to the lack of signal from that sensor.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by youngone
Im sorry, I forgot to add it runs next to the brake line but goes up into the engine bay.

All i Know is its an actual wire and not a hose.
if you pull the plastic flap on the inside of the fender is there a connector it goes to. i think its a black connector.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator

if you pull the plastic flap on the inside of the fender is there a connector it goes to. i think its a black connector.
Good guess! Only 95% of the connectors on the vehicle are black! LOL

There will be two wires, most likely white and gray on the sensor end. It will connect to a connector with a light blue wire and a yellow wire. Splice them back together with some 3M heat shrink type butt connectors and maybe some additional wiring and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Its the wheel speed sensor wire. Your ABS probably locked up due to the lack of signal from that sensor.

There will be two wires, most likely white and gray on the sensor end. It will connect to a connector with a light blue wire and a yellow wire. Splice them back together with some 3M heat shrink type butt connectors and maybe some additional wiring and see if it fixes the problem.

i dont know if that will work. those sensor rely on resistance and even the smallest difference will effect them. same thing happened when my balljoints broke and tore the wire into. we spliced it back together but no dice. its worth a try but even a crimp splice could throw of the resistance reading. i don't even know if you soddered it then used heat shrink if it would worth. i guess its worth a shot before you dough out the 100 and some bucks for a new bearing+sensor

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member

I hope thats whats causing it.

The wires broke at the wheel. They ziptied it tightley to the control arm and look as if it did have enough movement range. If that makes sense LOL.

I dont have the car at my house as I was alittle nervous driving it, but I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks guy, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: I need help!!