2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I need help brainstorming crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Blaze305 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=GeorgeLG;718984]OK so your timing chain and your cam/distr gears should be in good shape.

Let us know when you get a chance to check the ICM/coil voltages and the spark pattern and strength at the plugs.
💢💢ok great Im waiting on the test tool for the spark plugs 💢💢

Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
OK so your timing chain and your cam/distr gears should be in good shape.

Let us know when you get a chance to check the ICM/coil voltages and the spark pattern and strength at the plugs.

George
💢💢just something I seen researching.. is it possible the catalytic converter is blocked do to my bad distributer and not allowing air out? Can I just remove the exhaust to test this? 💢💢
💢💢also is it possible that the evac system ( evac coil/canistor) which I've never tounched be blocked or malfunctioning causing sometype of return fumes to the intake?💢💢
sorry just throwing ideas outhere I will check the voltages and spark power next 😁

Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I don't think a clogged cat converter would result in a no start condition. If you tap on them they may rattle or sound crunchy if they are breaking down and turning into a pile of pieces. A more definitive test is to measure back pressure at an upstream oxygen sensor port but that's while it is running. If you want to rule out a bad cat then you can remove the upstream O2 sensors and try to start it. BTW, running rich can kill at cat converter.

I have zero experience with the evap system so you will have to get an opinion on that one from another member.

George

Old 02-18-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
You just did by checking compression. If timing chain (this doesn't have a belt) has slipped, the compression would be down across all cylinders.
I'll let George follow up on the cam sensor retard since he mentioned getting the universal hold down.
i recharged the battery and retested the #6 and #4 compression and it andks like it lower
#6 85psi
#4 125
#2 125
#5 130
#3 135
#1 150
so it seems a have a bit of problem there but can this be the cause of no start? My oil has no water my water has no oil. I have had cars that ran on 5 cylinders because of faulty spark wires.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran

That cylinder does have a problem but it may be temporary. Was that plug wet or smell more like gas than the others? You may be dumping fuel into that one and causing cylinder wash from the fuel. Squirt a little oil in that cylinder and see if the pressure comes back up. If so you are resealing the rings. If not then its a head gasket or valves/timing. None of this should prevent the truck from starting but may explain some of the backfiring or lock ups.

If you do have an injector problem then you can do a cylinder balance test to see how much fuel each injector is providing.

Any progress on looking at the spark at the plugs again?

George

Old 02-20-2020, 07:16 PM

That cylinder does have a problem but it may be temporary. Was that plug wet or smell more like gas than the others? You may be dumping fuel into that one and causing cylinder wash from the fuel. Squirt a little oil in that cylinder and see if the pressure comes back up. If so you are resealing the rings. If not then its a head gasket or valves/timing. None of this should prevent the truck from starting but may explain some of the backfiring or lock ups.

If you do have an injector problem then you can do a cylinder balance test to see how much fuel each injector is providing.

George
no havent tried the spark again I haven't had somebody to cranking it while i look and to make sure I do it correctly. I'm waiting on the spark ingnition power tester. As soon as I get this I will let you know. I think your right on the conpression issue and dont want to focus on that till it turns on if it's because of timing or spark.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:59 PM

George
I didn't have anyone with me to crank so I put the ignition to the on position and jumpered the starter to crank it and removed the fuel relay (so cranks with out stalling and poping) and so I can look at the spark... is this procedure ok? I see consistent spark (like a steady speed ark not too blue mostly orange) at the coil upto the distributor but at plug #1 it only throws an initial spark then nothing.so I checked back at the coil and still consitent but doesn't go past the distributor.the distributor is spinning as I opened it and cranked it to see it spins.the cap is brand new and used a second new cap.
Ohh now I got to return the starter this is my 2nd one since the truck died several months ago and all the testing and kick back kills it.
It's really frustrating testing and now I gotta wait till I replace the starter just when I saw a possibility that the spark is not getting to the plugs. Is it possible that the spark is weak the coil is brand new and I checked the ground from the chassis to the engine.maybe its the ignition control module.

Last edited by Blaze305; 02-21-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:34 AM
BF Veteran

Why did you replace the coil before? Was the old one working?

Can the coil output jump a 1" gap and is it always orange? How much gap are you trying to jump at the plugs?

Has anything been done with the ICM?

What were the original problems/symptoms that started all of this?

George

Old 02-22-2020, 09:59 AM
BF Veteran

One more thing. Do you have access to an old school timing light?

George

Old 02-22-2020, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=GeorgeLG;719269]Why did you replace the coil before? Was the old one working?
💢 I replaced it because i saw the spark orange I still have the one i replaced. 💢

Can the coil output jump a 1" gap and is it always orange? How much gap are you trying to jump at the plugs?
💢at the coil it jumps about 3/4" anything past that it stops and its always orange.at the plugs I used that tester that lights up and its very faint im doing this in the dark and it light up bright maybe one 2 times then really dim or nothing at all. I did check voltage at the coil and it has 12v when ignition on and when cranking.Also tested ground and its good💢

Has anything been done with the ICM?
💢 no I haven't touched the ICM it still the original from 6 years ago💢

What were the original problems/symptoms that started all of this?
the 💢 I was driving and all of the sudden my truck stalled died and left had to tow it. Prior to this it was runnung great ..no water in oil ..no oil in water.. no poping or backfiring💢

💢I won't be able to test crank till I get a new starter again lol this is my third starter...well the originaorigin the online ine then the autoparts no its dead again just spinning. its spinning and not engaging again because of the kick backs. I will get some more budget and want to get the ICM and if still problem I will get the ac delco distributor 💢
I have a feeling your right and its ignition problem.

I been reading and most say the spark should be a bright blue ir even white but orange is weak and thats what i see

Quick Reply: I need help brainstorming crank no start