2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition advance question ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
vega7677 is on a distinguished road

Kyle,
My new spider came in this morning. I went out after lunch today & pulled the upper intake , cleaned it & the lim , installed the new spider , put it back together . Now I have No codes!!!!!!!!!
Problem solved, no P0300 or P0306, & the old motor runs pretty smooth for 212,000
miles.
Thanks for every ones help ,
Sherman

Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sherman, good job! You won't regret doing the upgrade! Glad you got her going. Sorry we went slightly off topic with your thread... still a good idea to at least check cam retard after removing the distributor

Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

Sorry to further derail the original topic of this thread but I searched a term and though I could add in my $.02 worth of experience.

I've been having trouble with P1345 for while and got a PC based scan tool and some GM specific software to read the expended PIDs for Cam Retard.

Let me start by saying my truck runs rather well. No misfires, no weird idle, no power problems... but my Cam Retard is currently set to -25 and my ignition timing is +20. The ignition timing will jump around, but I've never seen it go above 20.0. Perhaps that is the programmed limit that it will correct for? I've come to terms that my distributor is most likely off a tooth, but in my trial and error (prior to the scantool) it would not even run with the distributor set 1 tooth in either other direction.

Will a Case Relearn set the values back to a default (or properly calculated) number? Will the ECU do this by itself over time? If I can get the Cam Retard value at 0, should I let it run even if it doesn't sound right for the timing to get set better?

Thanks and glad the OP got his problem sorted out at least.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by s10blazed
Sorry to further derail the original topic of this thread but I searched a term and though I could add in my $.02 worth of experience.

I've been having trouble with P1345 for while and got a PC based scan tool and some GM specific software to read the expended PIDs for Cam Retard.

Let me start by saying my truck runs rather well. No misfires, no weird idle, no power problems... but my Cam Retard is currently set to -25 and my ignition timing is +20. The ignition timing will jump around, but I've never seen it go above 20.0. Perhaps that is the programmed limit that it will correct for? I've come to terms that my distributor is most likely off a tooth, but in my trial and error (prior to the scantool) it would not even run with the distributor set 1 tooth in either other direction.

Will a Case Relearn set the values back to a default (or properly calculated) number? Will the ECU do this by itself over time? If I can get the Cam Retard value at 0, should I let it run even if it doesn't sound right for the timing to get set better?

Thanks and glad the OP got his problem sorted out at least.
In your case, I would suggest doing the crankshaft position system variation learning procedure first. Then check camshaft retard and adjust it if necessary. (You might have to get rid of the P1345 for the relearn to work though.) Doing the relearn procedure guarantees that the PCM has the correct data for the CKP sensor. There is no "default" value and the PCM will not learn it on its own. When the relearn is performed, the data is burned into memory. Disconnecting the battery will have no affect on the data, (just like DTC's in the history file). The data will remain there until the next time the relearn is performed. If the CKP sensor has been disturbed, and the relearn has not been done, the engine will still run, but the PCM will be using incorrect data which will cause the PCM to command incorrect ignition timing. The PCM has no way of "knowing" if the CKP has been moved, so it "assumes" that it hasn't. DTC P1336 will be set if the PCM has no data stored for CKP.

With cam retard at -25 degrees, when you get everything back in spec, you'll see what you've been missing. You might notice an improvement in performance, and you'll definitely notice an improvement in fuel mileage, (and the longevity of the distributor cap).