2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installing Encoder Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough
Default Installing Encoder Motor

Hi all,

I'm replacing the encoder motor on my wife's '00 Blazer. It has the NV236 transfer case with the four-button dash switch. I got the old motor off the transfer case but I can't get the new one on. I've tried putting the sector selector shaft in different positions but I just can't get the new motor to line up and go on the transfer case. Are there any tricks or tips for lining it up?

Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
Hi all,

I'm replacing the encoder motor on my wife's '00 Blazer. It has the NV236 transfer case with the four-button dash switch. I got the old motor off the transfer case but I can't get the new one on. I've tried putting the sector selector shaft in different positions but I just can't get the new motor to line up and go on the transfer case. Are there any tricks or tips for lining it up?
You can view this video. Assuming you have a new encoder motor that has not been actuated and is in the same place it originally came (comes with plastic locating piece) - then you can put the transfer case in corresponding position and it should go on. Note this guy has a 3-button, so yours has two connectors and the position of the shaft in the transfer case could be different.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-10-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:46 AM

I've watched that video. His encoder motor just drops right into place. Mine will only get within about 3/4 of an inch from the side of the transfer case and then it won't get any closer. I have tried to put it on with the selector shaft in each different position but I can't get it on. I'm starting to think that maybe the old motor died in mid-shift and the shaft wasn't in one of its normal detent positions when it went out. I'll get back out there and mess around with it in the next couple days to see what I can figure out.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Hi all,

I finally got the encoder motor installed. To get it to line up with the stub shaft on the transfer case I had to shift it into the center position and then hook the encoder motor up to the truck and shift the truck into neutral with the 4WD switch. That got the motor and transfer case close enough to one another that they would mate up and and I could bolt the motor onto the case. I had read here on the Forum that it's not a good idea to change the position of the encoder motor without it being hooked up to the transfer case but, in this case, that seemed to be the only way to get the motor on.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

What people don't realize is that the encoder motor has an internal brake that needs to be electronically unlocked before current is applied to the motor. Apparently yours unlocked if it moved position.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:28 PM

I'm just glad it worked. I think the reason it worked out well is because I connected it up to the truck and used the buttons on the switch to move the motor. If I had hot-wired it or forced it the motor probably wouldn't have worked afterward.