2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installing an Engineered Cooling Products Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
I have had electric fans for since a August 2019. I found a 3.5 Intrepid R/T in the pick and pull. Was under my lucky star that day as is was half price day.

I had two fans break on trips to the mountains which I have traced back to a failed motor mount on the passenger side. Previous owner changed the driver side but not the passenger. Have new Energy Suspension mounts now on both sides.
I'll be super interested in the mounting of the fans to this radiator. It is something I might consider doing for myself.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:23 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I have the same Intrepid fans as Tom A but my current mounting uses the rail between the tanks which won't work.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I'm not near my Blazer right now, but I'll try to get a couple of pictures tomorrow. IIRC, though, I used pop rivets to hold the shroud to the top and bottom rails (after very carefully drilling holes in them), then used a bead of silicone on the left and right sides of the shroud to make sure it didn't move. It already pretty much snapped into place, so it probably wouldn't have moved without the rivets and silicone {but that would have been silly}.

Here's a picture I took when I installed the fans on the old radiator. Like I said, I'll try to get some pics of the new one tomorrow.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I have the same Intrepid fans as Tom A but my current mounting uses the rail between the tanks which won't work.
When I had the oil cooler welded into the radiator, I lost the two mounting points on the driver's side of the radiator.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran

As promised, I tried to take a couple of pictures. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to see with the radiator installed, and even harder to get a decent picture. As I remembered, I drilled a couple of small holes in the top rail and fastened the shroud to it with pop rivets. On the bottom, I had to make a little aluminum piece to fit into the divot in the shroud. I don't remember why, though. Either it didn't have a tab on the bottom like it did on the top, or it didn't reach the bottom rail. the sides of the shroud were glued/sealed to the radiator tanks with a bead of silicone.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:40 PM

This is how my fans are currently installed. Thinking about how to install on new radiator.
I am going drain the radiator tonight and get the old one out trying think if tacking studs on top cover of new unit might do it

Old 02-19-2021, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran

You can drill the top rail of the ECP radiator. It doesn't have any water going through it. If you have a TIG welder, you could also weld mounting tabs onto it, but I think pop rivets are much easier and work just as well.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:42 PM

When I look I see there is some core up there. Gonna take really close look tomorrow

Old 02-19-2021, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran

When I look I see there is some core up there. Gonna take really close look tomorrow
On mine, it was just fins, no tubes. And I put a deep socket over the drill bit so there was only 1/8" sticking out. That way, I couldn't accidentally drill too deep.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran

I took the opportunity to look at the pictures of the radiator I got from ECP. It came with 4 female threaded supports for mounting an electric fan. I lost two of them when I had the oil cooler welded in. If not for those, I initially didn't see see anything on the ECP radiator that could be used for mounting.

BUT, upon closer inspection, I saw where the metal at the top and bottom of the radiator could have no cooling fins behind it. This is in the last two pictures. I'd have to double check but perhaps an electric fan could be mounted to them.

If I were to do it again from scratch, I probably would have gone for the larger oil cooler and then had the shop weld back on the threaded mounting points somewhere convenient so that I could use them somehow.

If I were to install a cooling fan system now, It would definitely take some modifications by making some brackets that attach to the radiator or something else.

Below are pictures of my radiator when it came out of the box and then after it was modified. The close-ups are last.

Unmodified ECP radiator, engine side from the top. (Yes, I am a sailor and used to play the saxophone and clarinet! LOL)

Underside of ECP radiator.

Engine side of radiator with oil cooler welded in and the panel that was cut out next to it.

Close up of where oil cooler was installed and the panel that was removed that had the two mounting points on it.

Looking down at bottom rail of ECP radiator on engine side. Note the gap and no cooling fins.

View looking up at top rail of ECP radiator from grill side. Note the gap and no cooling fins.

Quick Reply: Installing an Engineered Cooling Products Aluminum Radiator