2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

intermittant starting problem (fuel pump relay)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 AM
freonchill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: intermittant starting problem (fuel pump relay)

weekend bump

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM

2 day bump

Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If moving the harnesses around temporarily fixes the problem, then you either have a broken wire or an intermitten connection on one of the pins under the fuse/relay center. There is no easy way to fix this. You have to dismantle the harness back as far as it takes and inspect the wiring. If you found a bent pin, it is possible that this is your problem.

There is no such thing as a relay module. The fuse/relay center basically has traces inside that run from the connector terminals underneith to the appropriate cavities in the top where you will find either a fuse or a relay.

Now, what pin did you bend? On the underside of the fuse/relay center? How did you determine that was the appropriate pin to bend? Do you have the appropriate wiring diagram?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM

on the underside of the relay box there were 5 connections (or as i am calling them modules)
each of these had a 10 x 10 grid of holes that the pins from the underside of the relay box connected to.

when i first had this problem, my mechanic put a light on fuel relay wire between the fuel pump and the relay box (near the relay box) so i just looked @ the color of that wire (light brown) and then followed that wire to the connection (module)

see attached diagram (image)

i bent the curved connector (in the 'module') back-out so that it would make contact better
and then covered it w/ dielectric gel

ps - i dont know whats wrong w/ the attachment - you have to click on the image twice before it loads up so that you can see it.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. I'll have to look up the wiring for a '99 when I get home, but there are no BRN wires that have anything to do with the fuel pump on a '00.

Here is the fuel pump wiring diagram for a '00:

Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM

it might have been grey - i just remember it was light colored - closer to white than brown (so it could have grey and i thought it was brown since i had a compact flourescent when i was looking @ it that night)

your diagram shows grey right?
(im not good @ reading circuit diagrams)

Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Yes, gray is the color of the wire in the F1 location, connector C3 (red) under the fuse/relay center.

I hope that bending the connector does the trick for you, but I am not sure... Once those connectors are fully seated, even tweaking the wire loom shouldn't move the connection...

Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
patton78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump this up... didstraightening that bent pin fix it?
i'm having a similar intermittent problem with my '95.