2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I've got a squeaker! Parking Brake cable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default I've got a squeaker! Parking Brake cable?

Lately I've been hearing a squeak, matched up perfectly with suspension flex and any vehicle rocking. At first I thought it was just the spare tire on the roof. So I didn't think much of it. But today, I was going to get in the blazer, and I HEARD IT. Now I know I didn't shake the tire...and I thought I could pinpoint the squeak! So..after a few times reeneacting the boarding procedure, and a couple vigorous shakes of the blazer, I think I found the problem:

That's the view of my rear tire, looking forward and down at the ground. You can see the leaf spring at the bottom under the two cables.

So. That bottom cable goes through a hole in the frame/body. I think this is the squeaker every time the leaf spring flexes, and the hole is all nice and shiny near the cable. Also, I only noticed the squeak after the installation of the shackles. I'm guessing this pulled the slack out of the cable.

Two (and a half) questions:

1) Is that the parking brake cable?
2) Is there anyway to stop that squeak...Can I shimmy the cable tighter down the frame rail to loosen it up through the hole?
2.5) Is there supposed to be a plastic grommit to let the cable slide noise free with flex?

PS] I didn't do any further investigation yet because I was on my way to class when I noticed it (cell phone pic) and now I'm getting ready for work! Any suggestions please!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I've got a squeaker! Parking Brake cable?

Yeah, that is the parking brake cable. I believe there is a black grommit that goes inside of that hole, although mine is missing too. If you look further toward the front about 8-12 in, there is another hole that does have the grommit. I'm not 100% positive, but around the drivers door if you follow that cable there is an adjuster that may take a little slack out of the cable...(or put some in)hope this helps

Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah its the parking brake cable if it has a grommit im also missing it. I'm kind of surprised that it wearing the hole though mine has a warn part on the covering over the cable where it hits the springs under certain conditions. As for loosening it the only thing I would worry about is that by adjusting it I believe it would be fine for the drivers side but would make it too loose on the passanger wheel. Although if your parking brake is like mine im sure it could be loosened some since mine when applied will hold steady even at 4500rpm but they dont rub when off. I dont recall if there are standoffs from the frame when its under the doors, if there is this may be a way to give a little more cable without trying to adjust the cable. In the picture your cable doesn't look much tighter than mine but it might just be the angle of the pic.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found out when checking my rear brakes that if you follow the parking brake line down to the caliper area, you're likley to find that missing grommit down there, atleast that's where mine was, it just fell out of the hole and slid down out of sight with the tire on. you can feel it w/out tire removal.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ohh...I'll have to check that! Didn't even think of that possibility. And now with the end of our water restrictions...I can actually clean the mud off to see a grommit down there