2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Jimmy Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member
Trappy is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmy Issues

Hey all! I'm about to get my first Jimmy for $400! Of course, it has some issues. First off, I have to replace the battery, a tire, and a mirror, which isn't any big deal. I'm getting it from a coworker. Anyway, it should run after that, but the fuel gauge is iffy. From what I read, it's probably the sending unit. I'd like to know how difficult that's going to be, or how expensive it would be if I took it to a mechanic.
There's also an issue with the heating/AC. Apparently, in order to make the AC work, I have to switch a tube from one point to another on the firewall?? I think I need another tube to go from one point to another, but can anyone else verify what is going on with that or what I need to do? Can I find an HVAC diagram online?
The heated seats are iffy, too. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Any common issues/fixes with that?
The battery is so dead, that it won't even crank the starter, and that lights won't even turn on. Supposedly, the ice storm completely killed the battery. Is it common for the battery to be that dead, or could there be a draw coming from somewhere in the SUV?
Now, my biggest concern: the ignition switch. Supposedly, once the battery is replaced, the Jimmy will start. However, you can turn the ignition switch all the way to where it would crank without the key in it. Will it start without the key because of that? Or, is that a normal thing with Blazers/Jimmys? Noticed the same thing happen with an early 90s Blazer in a Lil B music video lol. Plus, I had a hard time getting the key out of the ignition when I was checking it out. Should I be concerned?

All in all, it's a 98 Jimmy 4x4 with heated leather seats and a sunroof for $400, so I can spend a little more fixing the issues

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Woot. K. fuel gauge...yea sending unit in the tank. gauges on theses rarely fail. They eat pumps too. Might as well get a pump/unit. ONLY AC DELCO OR DELPHI. or you will hate your life as they are picky. this job,takes maybe 3 hours at most.

as for ac,you have some kind of vacuum leak. Not sure on this issue.

As for heated seats,could be bad power wire,short,bad seats etc.

Battery..Take it by autozone etc. they can test em for free. if its bad replace it.

the ignition cylinder? Its just bad. shouldnt do that. new ones like 20 bucks. its not the switch,its the cylinder.

for 400 bucks,spend some money on it if engine/trans works good. if it fails,scrap it for 400 bucks and move on. nothing to Lose!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member

Oh, the battery is definitely bad! Lol, sounds like the guys at AutoZone are going to be my best friends soon enough! No clue how to replace the ignition cylinder, so that'll be a fun learning experience. Looks easy enough from the pics on the AutoZone website, just pull out and replace. I guess I'll have to keep the original key for locking/unlocking, though. Thanks, you've helped put my mind at ease!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, I finally got the Jimmy! It's running well! The ignition cylinder works currently now that the battery has been replaced. Now, the front driver side window doesn't roll down. What's the normal fix for the issue? The plugs look tight in the bottom of the window controls, and all other windows and the sunroof work perfectly. Is it just the window motor? And also, the AC thing. Does anyone have a link to the AC/heat system in the Jimmy/Blazer?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The HVAC air distribution is controlled by engine vacuum. This is the hose or line that connects to the firewall. Suggest replacing all of the vacuum lines under the hood. Start at the engine and replace each line/hose between T's. Also check the vacuum reservoir ball is not cracked if you have one on the underside of the hood. Not sure if 98's had the ball on the one in the fender. If no ball, then it is inside the driver's fender and all you will be able to find is the small hose connection by feel. Be sure there is a hose on it.

There are vacuum diagrams on the forum, just do a search and you should be able to find it.

Have fun with your $400 vehicle....sounds like you stole it.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trappy
Okay, I finally got the Jimmy! It's running well! The ignition cylinder works currently now that the battery has been replaced. Now, the front driver side window doesn't roll down. What's the normal fix for the issue? The plugs look tight in the bottom of the window controls, and all other windows and the sunroof work perfectly. Is it just the window motor? And also, the AC thing. Does anyone have a link to the AC/heat system in the Jimmy/Blazer?
as for the window, it sounds like it could be the window motor or regulator, and also could be the switches as well. my passenger side window switch went bad, but the lock/unlock still worked. what happens is say for instance your running to your car in a bad storm and you open the door to get in, as soon as you open the door the water runs down the door panel and eventually gets to the switches. my side mirror switch went bad, the terminals were all rusted. id give that a look first IMO

Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah Lanny, I got a hell of a deal on it. My friend bought it with a bad fuel pump from his dad's friend, replaced that, and drove it until he got a '14 Corolla. Said he wouldn't ask for more than he paid for it, so now it's mine! I'll check the vacuum lines this weekend, hopefully that'll solve my problem!
Er0ck- Thanks for the tip! I figured it might be something simple like that, because I just found out that the driver side mirror doesn't work, either...

Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Beginning Member

Well, I went out yesterday to start her up for a minute, and I rolled down the driver side window! It went down, no problem, but made a loud clicking noise when it got all the way down. Then, on the way back up, it would stop moving, and the motor would start clicking again. Seems like it was getting off track. Not sure why the motor clicked like that, though...