2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Key Turns too Far Left, Instrument Gauges Stop responding, Transmission Higher RPM, after new column

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
cide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Key Turns too Far Left, Instrument Gauges Stop responding, Transmission Higher RPM, after new column

Driving to Work Today, Everything is fine except the fact the truck feels like it is gearing higher for everything, For example, 2000RPM at 60KM/Ph - Then, after the truck was fully warmed up the Check Engine light came on at the same time all the gauges on the instrument panel stopped responding.
Later, The instrument panel lights (all of them) light up for a brief second and all the gauges begin responding. I noticed when I removed the key, Insted of it stopping where it is supposed to be pulled out, when you turn the ignition all the way to the left - It goes one turn more then it should and wont allow you to pull the key out until you turn it 1 turn to the right.
Everything was fine the day before, And the key did not experiance this "extra left turn" problem, Nor was there a check engine light - and the vehical was more responsive, and much lower RPM for the same speeds travelling.

Ever since I had experianced a break in, and they replaced my Steering Column, and a new tumbler keyed to the old one, It has been experiancing the above problems to different degrees.
Last week, The key not only did the extra turn to the left, But it wouldnt actually go to the "Off" position. The key would pull out in the "on/ACC" Position, and after the key was out you could physically turn the ignition with your hand and it would start the vehicle and run, But the instrument panel would be out of wack... Not working, Or would "Kick in" via a failsafe sort of deal.
I took the truck to the mechanic who replaced the steering wheel when this was happening and he thought that one of the fuses in the left side panel wasnt giving current, so he rigged it to the instrument lighting fuse, Then the key started working again but the 4WD Screwed up and all the lights were off, So he removed the wire, and then everything was magically working again.. Once again Up until today.

My key is a little worn, Smoothed out. But, I am wondering what the problem could be with this - What should first be considered and possibly replaced, or readjusted?
Any advice, or insight will receive "More" than a simple thank you!!
Sincerely,
Nigel
1998 GMC Jimmy SLS, 340,000KM's

Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Key Turns too Far Left, Instrument Gauges Stop responding, Transmission Higher RPM, after new column

There are several stages to where the key can reside.

Radio/Compass (not started) then, Off, Pre-Start, Starting

Its supposed to be like that, incase you want to listen to the radio and the like.