2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

killed my battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Beginning Member
01Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default killed my battery

It's cold these days up in Canada. Tried starting the 01 Jimmy at below minus 30 Celsius with the original AC Delco battery still in it a while back. It fired up and ran 10 sec, then died. Could crank engine, but wouldn't kick in again. Drain battery significantly, but dash would still light up. Came back another day when it was only minus 18 or so and tried the engine, started right away and continued running. Drove truck and ran some errands, should have been enough to charge the battery (maybe not, pretty cold out). Next time I drove the truck, it started no problem, drove around town, then to play hockey. Two hours later, car would start, or turn over. Temp outside had dropped to minus 30. Had to leave truck at rink. Next day, someone boosted it and it started right away. Parked it at home, left it for a couple days. Weather has remained cold, when I tried starting it, it wouldn't crank, but dash would light. However, when I tried to shut ignition and remove key, it was stuck I guess power may be needed to release key from ignition. With key stuck, I guess electronics may be using whatever little juice is in the battery. Now battery seems completely dead. Key still stuck in the ignition, when I turn it, voltmeter barely budges, no LED on in the dashboard, no stereo sound. I think I may have left the dome light on previously, which drained my battery in addition to the cold weather and old battery.

Now gonna get another AC Delco 7 year battery, other one seemed pretty good in lasting until now. Hope the stereo will work once the new battery is hooked up. Got the Delco Bose and don't know if the anti-theft was enabled. Strong truck, old battery, dumb owner (don't know how to use the domelight control)= shell out for new battery.

Hope completely draining the battery doesn't cause any other problems. Any advice, experiencefrom readers out there would be great. Like I've said elsewhere, Some of the features and controls on the Jimmy/Blazer are not so intuitive or user friendly, in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: killed my battery

Get a new battery-clean cables/pull battery bolts out of cables-make sure all is clean. Hook up positive first then negative. Your key will now move(seems to always happen on the Jimmies)-hopefully this will take care of all your issues. The stereo...hopefully it is not 'locked'-a security kinda thing. There are threads on this site about that but it may(depending if you have connections at a chevy dealer or not)have to go to the dealer but we'll see. By the way...when installing the new battery and if you don't have extra keys or extra keys with you-open the door as you hook it up as I have had many of these lock the doors as you hook it up and if it does....well you may have a problem....and you can't put the keys in your pocket for reasons described above! Good luck-Happy New Year! Jerry

Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Beginning Member

Getting folks in the tire shop to install my new battery, plus new Wrangler RT/S. I know they're not supposed to be great tires but I don't drive crazy and actually never had too many scary moments with them (all right, icy intersections last year were 'fun'; got to see my ABS in action). I'm getting one new one and putting the spare into use. Putting one of my half-worn ones as the spare. That should do me for tires for the next couple years and then I should be able to treat Angel to a nice set of Silent Armours orsomething.

Thought about getting an Optima from Walmart or a Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire) Eliminator spiral cell battery (Exide Orbital clone) but decided to stick with an OEM AC Delco battery, a 7 year warranty one. Don't want to let Crappy Tire touch my Angel, or install my tires.Auto service in Walmart is even more scary.

Next project, the "Big Three."

Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the battery solve your issues-stereo included? I'm sure it comes out of park now, right? If you don't mind me asking...P235-75r15 RTS's. right(not 70's)-how much did they set you back? Happy New Year! Jerry PS....what's 'fixing' the big three mean-can you fix em'?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

Big three is upgrading of the 2 major ground pointsin the car's electrical system (battery neg to chassis and engine block to chassis), plusthe major path from the battery's positive terminal, I believe. Lots about this on other threads elsewhere(google Big Three and wiring). My Jimmy is mostly stock so may not need it, but Jimmy Angel is alsomy hobby... Owning a Jimmy means not only enjoying driving it, but working on it! Not for the technically uninclined.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Beginning Member

Oh ya, got the new battery in, everything running good as new. Luckily the radio wasn't set up to lock itself out. Now if I can only figure out the best way to add a powered subwoofer to the stock Delco Bose premium system, that'll make good use of doing the Big Three... I don't want to use an el-cheapo LOC of the rears. I heard about AOEM-GM21A from PAC or LOCB.2 from SoundGate. Anybody have experience with these, or 'doing' their Blazer/Jimmy? Guess I should rename and transplant this thread over to Electricals section. Sorry.