2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Link Error when trying to pull codes on 95 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Link Error when trying to pull codes on 96 blazer

Hey boss, I work at an AutoZone and think I may be able to help...

The OBDII scan tool will only work on 96 and newer vehicles, some '95 Dodge Neons will accept it, but they're the only ones I've found.

The connector on your Blazer is similar to the one on the '96 and newer, but the scantool won't link up. The AutoZone should have a code key (it'll look like the ignition key for the truck, but it'll have 2 flat points on the end.) Turn it so it's flat and stick it into the the top right corner of the connector. The check engine light should start flashing. 1 long flash = 10 and 1 short flash = 1. It should flash "long short short" (Code 12) which means it's detecting a reading from the computer. Anything after that should be written down and then either the AutoZoner can punch it into the computer, or you could check a Haynes manual and compare the codes. 3 longs and 2 shorts, for example, would be a code 32.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, lol. If you have anymore questions, IM me at ThrowinSparks87.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
gmyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

You know what...that's exactly what I was asking. I found that you could jumper the II's pin but hadn't found where I can get the OBD I's. Top right two huh? I'll check on that this weekend and let you know. Lot's of good info coming back at me here. I appreciate the leads. I have already found that you can buy a cable kit for around 30 bucks, but you would still need a computer and some software. This way (jumping the connector and reading the blinking light) is one I thought I had heard of a while back but have never tried.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:11 PM
gmyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: LoLoS10Blazer87

Hey boss, I work at an AutoZone and think I may be able to help...

The OBDII scan tool will only work on 96 and newer vehicles, some '95 Dodge Neons will accept it, but they're the only ones I've found.

The connector on your Blazer is similar to the one on the '96 and newer, but the scantool won't link up. The AutoZone should have a code key (it'll look like the ignition key for the truck, but it'll have 2 flat points on the end.) Turn it so it's flat and stick it into the the top right corner of the connector. The check engine light should start flashing. 1 long flash = 10 and 1 short flash = 1. It should flash "long short short" (Code 12) which means it's detecting a reading from the computer. Anything after that should be written down and then either the AutoZoner can punch it into the computer, or you could check a Haynes manual and compare the codes. 3 longs and 2 shorts, for example, would be a code 32.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, lol. If you have anymore questions, IM me at ThrowinSparks87.
Alright, I ended up being able to use a paperclip. Looking at the connector under the dash I inserted the jumper into the top two right holes that had connector pins in it. Turned the ignition to on but didn't start the vehicle.

The light blinked the code 12.

Then it blinked out a 32 and also a 45.

EGR valve and Rich fuel mix at the O2 sensor. After reading another relate post here by moonwater (I think) I am going to pursue the EGR valve first.

I want to note here that all of the second and third set of flashes were short. Unlike the first one that gave me the code 12 one long and two short flashes.

I got: 3 short then pause then 2 short and it went through that three times. Then I got: 4 short then pause then 5 short and it went through that three times as well. At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing so I had to do it again to pick up on what was happening.

I'm writing this because it kind of conflicts with the 3 longs and 2 shorts or similar I was expecting. It is a coincidence that the first code is the same one you happened to use in your example LoLo87.

Anybody want to offer some helpful tips on what to look for I'd appreciate it!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Link Error when trying to pull codes on 95 blazer

Sorry to mislead you, on my '87 the codes flash short and long. I'm sure it's the same thing. Chevy just decided to change things up I reckon.

The whole short flash thing is the same. On my Blazer it flashes the code 3 times before moving to the next. Sorry to confuse you and tell you to look for something you weren't going to see, lol.

It is ironic how the example I used was an actual code returned, lol.