2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lotsa Maint & Repairs Here....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lotsa Maint & Repairs Here....

I bought my 99' Jimmy last Oct. from one of those used car lots http://www.finelinemotors.com/that have vehicles in the $3000-$15K range, most are around $5000.
I am not loyal to any particular auto maker butI did want a4-door 4x4 SUV, didn't care what year it was but condition and milage was important. I test drove a few S10 Blazer types, Exlplorers and a couple Grand Cherokees which were terrible. The Explorers seemd to lean alot around corners and wander on the road. The Blazers drove better than the above and had a tighter more securefeeling. Allthe abovehad 106K miles or more except the highly optioned bright white 99' Jimmy that had 79800 miles, brand new Wrangler Radials, fresh oil & filter,clean trans fluid,interiorlooked unused and smelled clean like leather,engine & undercarriage was clean and without rust or scale. It's CarFax was clean and I was able to find out that it was bought new nearby in Valpo, Indiana for a whopping$29thousand! Now,10yrs later they were asking $4995.
After about a week of driving carsfrom their lot I returned to the white Jimmy and offered $4500...they took $4420 "As Is, No Warrenty Implied or Otherwise" but i could buy warrenty coverage. I wasn't interested.
Since then, about 9 wks ago it has had:
- 2 Moog upper ball joints and 2 TRW lower ball joints (thats what the parts store had)
- New left front axle shaft assembly,(had slight squeak)
- New grease boots on right front axle shaft,
- New front brake pads (free labor)
- Wheel alignment,
- Changed front & rear differential lube to Mobil 1 gear lube,
- 4 hinge pins & bushings at front doors,
- New windshield wipers,
- New Walker direct replacemnt catalytic converter & flange gaskets.

Except for the wipers do you think the above is maint one can expect from an 80000 mile S10/S15?

BTW...Far as FineLine Motors they have been great! Parts cost was their cost and labor was minimul. They installed the cat converter for free and gave me the part reciept. They even gave me a loaner vehicle to use while they worked on mine!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Lotsa Maint & Repairs Here....

Sounds about right. Good to hear you have a garage that does not try to bend you over with costs.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: TripleBlackBlazer

Sounds about right. Good to hear you have a garage that does not try to bend you over with costs.
Absolutly!
For the Balljoints, front axle work and brake padsall parts and labor was $534 plus they provided me with acar and dealer plate fromFri to Mon. They didn't have to do that.
My read is that the FineLine Motors car lot providespay checks for the owner,1 salesman, 1 excellent mechanic and a detailer.It seems the attitude starts at the top from the ownerthat as auto sales go they all make a decent living without screwing people out of every penny so instead of screwing people why not be fair & reasonable and'build' a lasting clientel?
Over the past 35 years I have bought vehicles from many diffrnt dealrs and worked at a few and ALL of them except FineLine Motors were bad news and I would never deal with any of them again.
I will bring my mechanic work to FineLineand next time I or firends are looking for a vehicle I will highly recommend FineLineMotors.com. They deserve it.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

My cousin put 2 balljoints on my truck, for a $14 case of Keystone.
Total price $44.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only uncommon item in my opinion is the catalytic converter, but either an internal fuel leak, or a faulty O2 sensor can cause the quick demise of a catalytic converter.