2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

loud pop from driver front

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
bigzimnh1 is on a distinguished road
Default loud pop from driver front

Ok I have a loud clunk coming from my driver front area. It happens when turning hard tight going forward or backwards. I've done upper control arm bushings, all ball joints, and hubs and its still doing it. Doesn't sound like theclicking that a bad half shaft would make. I'm just trying to get it to stop. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ive got it too. But i also have a bad torsion bar mount on that side. I THINK its causing something to bind up and clunk. Crawl underneath the blaze and push up on the torsion bar cross member on the drivers side. If it moves up and down then the mounts bad. I dont know if this is the cause of it but i was thinking it was a ball joint. But if yours is doing it with new ones..maybe your info just saved me alot of grief.

Does it do it when the wheel is slightly turned,then you put it in reverse and it clunks then? thats when mine does it. Its not the cv shaft. I have mine pulled out completely when i deleted 4wd.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM

It does it when I'm turning hard right in forward it reverse. Thx for the reply ill check that cross member.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigzimnh1
It does it when I'm turning hard right in forward it reverse. Thx for the reply ill check that cross member.
i had the same problem, ended up changing the upper and lower control arms and it fixed the problem.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the inner and outer tie rods yet????? Any play in those and you'll get loud pop sounds when turning. Check by jacking one side of the front end up at a time and wiggle the tire side to side. If it moves at all then I would say it's time to replace some tie rods. Good luck

Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by rob44_90
Have you checked the inner and outer tie rods yet????? Any play in those and you'll get loud pop sounds when turning. Check by jacking one side of the front end up at a time and wiggle the tire side to side. If it moves at all then I would say it's time to replace some tie rods. Good luck
I forgot to say that the tie rods are all new inner outer and sleeves, and the idler as well. ill check them again though, they are a year old now.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Starting Member
mkles is on a distinguished road
Default Bump stops and tortion springs

Most trucks have a bump stop on each spindle that limits the travel that the spindle rotates on the ball joints. IFS the bump stops are on the back of the lower "A" arm. turning hard left, its the left spindle. Hard right is on the right spindle they are metal to metal contact and no lube! If you hit a bump full lock those surfaces move against each other causing a loud scraping noise or a pop. put some grease on the stops and see if it changes.
Other thoughts: when the spindle is against the stop, it puts tons more stress on lower ball joints. side to side movement pushing the lower "A" arm forward at the rubber bushings so think about that. If its torsion bar suspension, if the lower arm also has the torsion spring and it can be moving enough to cause the torsion spring to slip in and out on the socket on either end of the spring.

Streight axles are the same, but in that case a lower ball joint or spring bushings. and they have bump stops but are not affected by suspension travel.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

My 97 4x4 Blazer did that. I took some Teflon spray & sprayed the rubbers on both ends of the torsion bars That stopped it. I use Tri-Flow lubricate. I buy it from ACE or True Value Hardware It isn't cheap about $9/ can. But it is the best lubricate I have ever found.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM

thanks for the replies, i did grease the stops with no luck. But somehow or another the popping stopped. The only downfall is that my driver front tire now has a slight lean to it, i have to figure out why its doing that now. Im guessing that its connected since I noticed the lean shortly after the clunking stopped. Any ideas on that, someone mentioned a shim? Not sure