2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low Anti-Feeze Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
coplinb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Low Anti-Feeze Issue

So today, I was getting an oil change and they said that there was no coolant in the tank or radiator. topped it off and out the door I went. My truck has been running fine lately, even today. It warms up good and everything, and there are no leak marks on the ground where I park whatsoever or noticable dripping. What could be causing this? Thanks everyone!

Brandon

Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Low Anti-Feeze Issue

How much did they add and did you see them add it?

Check you're level after it's sat and cooled for about 6 hours. Then check it again in a day or two when it's cold after it's sat and compare levels.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:32 PM

I watched them add it but i couldnt give you a number. he filled the resivour for about a minute and the radiator a little shorter. could they have been just trying to screw me out of 3.99 for a top off? lol

Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that a bad rad cap could cause this, but this doesn't sound that simple... Get a new rad cap and keep an eye on the level.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Whats the radiator fluid level at now in your resivor after they did this. Because if it has gone down since they filled it up you have got a problem. If it is the same as it was after they filled it up, just keep a look out for it to go down (I'd check maybe every week or two) If it goes down then there could be a problem. If it had been a long time since you last changed the anti-freeze or topped it off, then I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal.

If it ain't leaking onto the ground and you can't see any signs of a leak, then it might be leaking into your oil (which would be bad). The next time you change your oil, make sure it isn't foamy when it comes out, if it is then that is a sign of antifreeze in your oil, which means most likely the lower intake manifold gasket would need replacing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
dist6blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

same problem here
chances are its leaking into your crank case and youll have to replace the gaskets on the intake manifold check your oil and see if it looks cloudy or like a "milk shake" (thats the only way to tell) as a temporary fix until it gets a little warmer i put radiotorsealent in with my coolant (prestone)--(just follow the directions on the bottle) THIS IS JUST TEMPORARY.. eventually youll have to replace the gasket ($34.28)..ive had 2 blazers same problem with both of them hopefully i caught this one in time..the other one is somewhere in el salvador with an engine that is ready to go!
good luck any questions pm me

Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM

thanks for all the help everyone, ill keep my eye on it and let you know whats up. its been a very long while since ive tinkered around with the blazer, so i might have over looked checking the levels. its just been very cold here so i have been draggin a little latley.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, go ahead and pull the oil dipstick and look at the oil color. Make sure it doesn't have a creamy look and see if the oil level is right (as in "where'd this extra oil come from?").

Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
dist6blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

the oil will also have some bubbles and a reddish tint to it.. the best way to check is to crack the drain plug and see what drips on the floor.. i find the dipstick to not be accurate all the time