2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lower manifold gasket change/rough starting now Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
wvracket is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Lower manifold gasket change/rough starting now Timing?

I just did the lower manifold gasket change like some many others have done. It fine except someone sold me the wrong gaskets and had to go back to the store and get the right ones and now my 2000 blazer starts very rough if at all. I pump the gas pedal try to aid in starting. Once it starts it runs fine and idles fine. Am I off by one tooth on the distributor. I marked it when I pulled it so do I need to time it. And the gas gauge is bouncing all over the place and was doing that before the gasket change and I did not depressurize the fuel system, I just backed the b-nuts off. Didn't know about the relay or fuse thing. So got any ideas, Thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
agb1976 is on a distinguished road

Yes you might want to throw a timing light on it but check all your vacuum connections first. Changed mine a few weeks ago and missed the big vacuum line on the air intake, truck was running like it was missing and then put the vacuum line on it has been running smooth ever since.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

From what I read, I have the EDI system and you cant time it with a light but I will check all the vacum lines. I think I going to try and time here shortly by the EDI engine timing thread from here. The only thing that gets me is the oil pump drive gear and screw driver. I guess I will figure it out when a look down in there. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, follow through the EDI Engine Timing thread. There are some things about it that are not too DIY friendly (setting the CMP Retard & doing the CASE learn if necessary), but you have to start with getting the distributor properly timed to the cam gear.

As far as the screw driver & oil pump drive go, it isn't fun and takes patience. First figure out if you actually need to mess with it. If you are only a tooth off, then you likely won't have to worry about the oil pump drive.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM

It was the timing. Must have been off one tooth that's why it start really bad if at all. The timing thread was right on the money, thank you Blazer forum! The one spark plug sucks, who designed that needs shot, and the oil pump drive shaft took awhile. Glad I took the hood off for the job, Dad help a big mirror, while i was up on the motor with my head resting on the rubber for the hood with a flashlight and screwdriver. The mirror should read objects go in opposite directions, not objects are closer than they apear. Not to bad of a deal. would have took only a couple hours but pull a lead into so I had to call for a ride and go to the store. Thanks to all the advise on here. This place is great. I plan on keeping this pain in my butt, as long as nothing huge comes along. But all the little crap that breaks on blazers can drive you nuts before than. Happy trails and thanks to all

Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it all fixed back up! Thanks for the feedback!