2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lower Manifold Removal 1995 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 06:36 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

It's not that big a deal. Yeah, chip it away while keeping the tip of a shopvac right next. But you will also want to drain and flush your truck a month after you get it back together and running. That way and crap that DOES get in the system will be worked loose and will come out in the drain. And I mean drain by taking the lower radiator hose off from the water pump and using a hose down through the thermostat housing opening and flushing it.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:20 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

These pictures sure take me back to my ole '95....anyways....the center port on the right head is the EGR port. It is really full of carbon as was mine. I just touched this and a chunk fell down.....crap!....so off came the heads as I had no idea if this chunk fell into a cylinder or not.
I took the heads to a shop and had them cleaned-up; they sure needed it....as it appears these do as well....just a suggestion.

Good job so far..... full speed ahead...

Old 04-06-2022, 02:08 PM
WaywardSteel is on a distinguished road

Head Gasket broke..

I believe I did this and not from that oil build-up. I did not know there was a part of the head gasket that goes through the the gap and broke it as I was cleaning all that gunk out. I don't know if this will cause anything bad. Should I break off the pieces so they don't come loose and get down in the valley? Or should I be fine?

I'm about ready to take off these old gaskets and clean the surfaces and that one bad coolant passage and start putting her back together. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I'd think that the head gasket is pretty secure in there. Bending that part of it that is exposed shouldn't hurt anything.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2022, 09:36 PM
Default Head Gasket & Gunk Source

Thanks Christine. My dad said it should be okay as well.

I believe the source of all the gunk that got drawn into the Lifter Valley came from my Right Valve Cover Gasket being leaky. I checked it on the outside and seen evidence of a wet leak right underneath the Valve Cover seam.

So I'll be doing the Valve Covers as well.. What's holding me back from doing my Head Gaskets now too? Aren't the bolts that hold it down located underneath the Valve Covers? I think I'd have to pull off several Pulleys too but I might as well since I've got all this taken a part. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by WaywardSteel; 04-06-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:18 AM
Default Almost ready!

I'm almost done cleaning out all the gunk that was being drawn into the Lifter Valley, Cleaning The Heads and finally got that rock hard Coolant buildup in the Center Left Water Jacket Opening. (It was bad but y'all have seen worse.) 😄

I've been waiting forever for parts and got what I need. I'll be spending the whole day putting The Zombie back together. I named it that because it just kept running, no matter how bad things needed to be replaced and fixed.

However, I'm really glad that I had to take off the Lower Manifold and found all that oil gunk being drawn in and almost started covering a whole Lifter! What a mess that was but I had an extra shakey hand to help hold the vacuum over the cleanup area. 🤣

Sorry for my painfully long messages but this is my first time Servicing an Engine, Whole Air Intake and Fuel Injectors on the '95 of all years! 😆 BUT! I do have an extra QUESTION. Pretty please!? Lol.

I put Black RTV Sealant on the eaten out parts around the entry to the back two Water Jackets or Coolant Passage on the Manifold. (Picture Included) I DO have the same rot on the heads on the back two Water Jackets around the mating surfaces. (Picture Included)

Should I use Black RTV on those too? Definitely makes sense but wouldn't hurt to hear an opinion. Again! Thanks for all the patience! Guns N' Roses - Patience

One rotted in front too I forgot.

Black RTV fill.

This one on the Manifold is really bad. It had rotted so bad it made a hole or crevice about almost a ½in Deep. No throughway so I filled and puttied over with Black RTV. I hope this is right.

Last edited by WaywardSteel; 04-13-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

So this got me thinking. Regarding filling gaps like you did, did you consider using JB Weld?

Old 04-15-2022, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I have used this stuff before, its pretty good. I used it to repair the head gasket surface of an aluminum engine block that got goughed. As it was setting I started trimming it with a razor blade to get the surface flat. The head gasket sealed perfectly, 130,000 miles ago.

George

Old 04-16-2022, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough