2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lower plenum dirty

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Dennisjf12 is on a distinguished road
Default Lower plenum dirty

Hi all, 2000 Blazer 4.3L 4X4, Had the throttle body off giving it a good cleaning (125,000 miles) was looking down inside the air intake, the right side (driver side) was real clean and the left side with the regulator on is was really dirty, is this normal, or do have some fuel lines or injectors leaking back into the intake ?
Thank you, Dennis

Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The black carbon deposits are normal. They are caused by the EGR valve introducing exhaust into the plenum at cruising speeds. If the driver side is washed clean, I would suspect a fuel leak in the plenum, or a problem with EGR gas distribution within the plenum.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:44 PM

If I have injectors and or fuel lines leaking, I should replace all, correct and should I also replace the fuel regulator ?, anything else besides gaskets?
Thank you Dennis

Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If a fuel line is leaking from the fuel metering block to a poppet nozzle, there is no authorized or approved "fix" for it, the injector assembly must be replaced.

1996 through 2002 S&T body vehicles originally came with 6 injectors located in the fuel metering block, with nylon fuel lines from the metering block to each poppet nozzle. 2003 through 2005 S&T body originally came with the injectors located at the intake ports, and the poppet valves were eliminated. Your 2000 is a candidate for the injector upgrade, which provides a noticeable improvement in engine performance over the poppet nozzle style. It is "plug & play" and no reprogramming is required or necessary. The Delphi part number is: FJ10565 and is available at most auto parts stores, Amazon, Rock Auto.com, Ebay, and others. The upgrade requires a new mounting bracket, which is included in the Delphi kit, (aftermarket kits might not come with it). It also includes a new fuel pressure regulator. The plenum gasket also needs to be replaced, it does not come with the Delphi kit. Replacement time is approximately 1.4 hours.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If a fuel line is leaking from the fuel metering block to a poppet nozzle, there is no authorized or approved "fix" for it, the injector assembly must be replaced.

1996 through 2002 S&T body vehicles originally came with 6 injectors located in the fuel metering block, with nylon fuel lines from the metering block to each poppet nozzle. 2003 through 2005 S&T body originally came with the injectors located at the intake ports, and the poppet valves were eliminated. Your 2000 is a candidate for the injector upgrade, which provides a noticeable improvement in engine performance over the poppet nozzle style. It is "plug & play" and no reprogramming is required or necessary. The Delphi part number is: FJ10565 and is available at most auto parts stores, Amazon, Rock Auto.com, Ebay, and others. The upgrade requires a new mounting bracket, which is included in the Delphi kit, (aftermarket kits might not come with it). It also includes a new fuel pressure regulator. The plenum gasket also needs to be replaced, it does not come with the Delphi kit. Replacement time is approximately 1.4 hours.
Hi all
I am installing a new injection assemble, (Delphi FJ10565), 2000 Blazer 4.3 L engine,
# 1, the new injection assemble came with a new hold down bracket, that's different than the old one, in that, it does not have the prong that set's in the second hole, you will see in the first picture, I used a flat washer on the new shoulder bolt and tightened it so that bracket could not move around, and possibly jump off the bolt, please advice if this is wrong ?, # 2, with the new injection assemble, with the fuel line routed as per directions, with the injection assemble mounted it seems to me that the rear fuel line are bent too sharp and might kink the fuel lines, note in first picture the bracket with the shoulder bolt and washer, then next pictures you see the injection assemble, dismounted and held to the side so you can see the routing of the fuel lines and in the rest of the pictures of the injection assemble mount in the bracket showing, how bad the rear fuel are bent, also on cylinder 6 and 1, I have turned the fuel line plugs down, since I took the pictures, please advice on what I need to do !, note the description with some of the pictures.
To see the pictures go to the photo album, (Fuel Injection Assembly, are fuel lines bent to sharp ? ) photo albums for Dennisjf12
Thank you Dennis

Last edited by Dennisjf12; 09-21-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 PM

#1. The bracket must be free to move so you can align the fuel metering block with the plenum when you install the plenum.

#2. Watch this video:

Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
#1. The bracket must be free to move so you can align the fuel metering block with the plenum when you install the plenum.

#2. Watch this video:
Hi all
I had seen that video before, but had forgot why the assemble had to be lose, and the video does not really give that good a view of how much the fuel lines are bent !
Dennis