2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Maintenance Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

UPDATE: Most of the list is done. Here is what happened:

-Oil/ filter change: Completed, but used Mobil1 HM 5W-30 with Rislone and an AC Delco filter since Royal Purple is a bit beyond my budget. The 5qt jug was only $24 at Walmart. Since I change the oil often, Royal Purple is unneccesary with the Rislone or Lucas that I use (Rislone in winter to thin the oil for smooth startups, Lucas in the summer to thicken the oil for better oil pressure).

-Transmission fluid/filter change: Completed, but I let the mechanic do this one. Deep pan and magnetic drain plug installed. 1/2 bottle of Lucas because I wanted to maintain the percentage of it in the fluid so it doesn't damage the seals because they didn't do a flush.

-Tune-up (spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, PCV Valve): Mostly completed myself, but had to have a professional do the #3 plug and wires.

-Both differentials + rear diff cover: Completed front diff myself since it had a drain plug, mechanic did rear diff and cover.

-Transfer case fluid: Completed

-Posi-Lok: Appointment made, will be installed in 1.5 weeks.

-Replace the 4WD dashboard switch: Completed

-Clean the Spectre air filter: Replaced due to the rubber part degrading

-Patch the leaking washer bottle with what is left of the 4 minute epoxy: Leak location unknown, so replaced with one off eBay. That fixed the problem.

-Replace the belt tensioner: Completed TWICE

-Touch up the paint and rust protection on the frame: Mostly completed, side rails repainted with rubberized paint and leaf springs hit with rust converter. Crossrails and other related parts are next.

-Strip the interior down to the carpet (seats/center console out) and rerun the wires for the computers and electronics to make it neater. Use the carpet cleaner hand tool on the carpeting. Also patch the tear in the driver seat with the repair kit I have.: Mostly completed: Some of the wires are rerouted, carpet is cleaned, seat tear is going to be repaired once I find the kit.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good work. I bet it feels really good knowing all that stuff has been completed. I need to find some time to get some maintenance items done myself.