2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAJOR problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member
Chevy Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the fuel had a slightly brown tint to it and yes there were little black specks. I'll run a fuel pressure test sometime this week.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chevy Blazer
Okay, thanks. I have a vacuum diagram, so I know exactly where the vacuum hose is that comes off of the intake manifold.

Alright, I went out to get my repair manual in the back of the truck and took a look underneath at the exhaust. There were some tiny dings in the "Y" pipe but nothing that would restrict the flow. I looked at the catalytic converter. Around the forward pipe it's clamped to, there are two spots where the outside of the pipe is black like it was burnt. I'm sure that's the exhaust leak, but would a few small leaks like that make the truck run like it was?

I tried to start it to see if the hissing was coming from around the catalytic converter, but it just dies almost immedately after a few of the cylinders fire.
It's not the small leaks that are indicated by the burn look that makes the truck run bad. It's the fact that the Cat is clogged and the exhaust has no where to escape so it is trying hard to push out the small leaks.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tony H
It's not the small leaks that are indicated by the burn look that makes the truck run bad. It's the fact that the Cat is clogged and the exhaust has no where to escape so it is trying hard to push out the small leaks.
Leaks in the exhaust system will leave a stain in any exhaust system if it is restricted or not. What he needs to determine is if there is a restriction in the exhaust system.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member

That was what I was wondering, if the exhaust has nowhere to go except through those leaks.

It's been a while, but I've recently replaced the Ignition module, cap and rotor, and all six fouled plugs which needed replacing anyway. A friend of mine whose a mechanic hooked up to the computer to read any codes, but nothing came up. He suggested that it could possibly be those ignition components or the coil, so I replaced everything except the coil so far. It almost starts now, and is a whole lot better than before I replaced that stuff.

Could it be a faulty coil?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

I would imagine a faulty coil would show up as a misfire Code..

Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Easy to load test at most autoparts stores.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

I would imagine a faulty coil would show up as a misfire Code..

Don't count on it. I've never seen a faulty coil that causes the truck to barely/not run throw a misfire code.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Don't count on it. I've never seen a faulty coil that causes the truck to barely/not run throw a misfire code.
I've seen plenty. If the coil outer housing has cracked, moisture will diminish the coils ability to produce the necessary voltage for a proper spark. This can definitely cause misfires.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member

Tested the coil with a multimeter and everything is within specs. Also took off the EGR valve to see if it was stuck open, but that works just fine.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Testing it with a multimeter doesn't really tell you the whole story... Most coil faults are load dependent.

Quick Reply: MAJOR problem