2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

manifold glows red

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member
adam10 is on a distinguished road

they are not bad to replace about 1 hour or 2. a good recip saw and a welder or some clamps will work to with some adapters.you dont want to run it to much the way it is.i know of a guy who trashed an engine running it with the manifold glowing .good luck

Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member
dekster is on a distinguished road

yea so it will be fairley easy no labor costs just parts

thanks for the info im gonna hack it off and replace it tommrow. thanks alot

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-21-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member

ok so i didnt cut it off today it rained but i would just like to add to it that it now apears to be just the left side glowing and that side also has a slight exhaust leak in the manifold area so is it still a restriction somewhere or something diffrent?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member

if you are losing some power i would say its the cat.is the leak the manifold gasket or down farther?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member

yea is just feels slugish and just not full power not runing like a vortec is all i can say and it sounds like its more twords the moter

Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an exhaust leak ahead of the upstream sensor on that side, it can cause a false lean condition to which the PCM would richen up the fuel mixture by increasing the injector pulse width on that side.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Beginning Member

even without throwing a code?

but also on occasion the other side will glow to just not as bad. the only reason im asking so many questions is im trying to get a sloid theory on why its glowing so i dont waste time or money

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-21-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A quick scan with a capable scan tool could display the LTFT for each bank. They can be elevated which would indicate that the PCM is trying to richen up the mixture. If it isn't maxed out, it may not trigger a code.

Please use the EDIT feature to add more information to your first reply to another member if you have not waited 24 hours (after which it would be permissible to bump the post). This is per forum rules. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member

why not start with the exhaust leak and try that.depending on where it is it should not be to bad (or expensive)to fix.then if it still is doing it then i would try the cat.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

its the cat the only reason the exhaust leak even appeared is becuase it was getting so hot caused the gasket to leak

Quick Reply: manifold glows red