2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MFI Spider Upgrade: New Bracket, Injector Routing, Firewall Fuel Pipe Oring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 12:16 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road
Default MFI Spider Upgrade: New Bracket, Injector Routing, Firewall Fuel Pipe Oring Questions

I am finally getting around to my lower intake gasket replacement and MFI upgrade and have a few questions. I have to first apologize I didn't have my phone with me to take actual pictures of the areas I am talking about I am using other's pictures from the internet and will try to described
First is around the "updated" bracket for the spider. Below is the original bracket for my fuel spider. This one has 1: to locating tangs/dowels that locate the bracket into the lower intake2 Has a bolt with a retaining washer on the back side that tightens all the way down on the bracket leaving no space between the bracket and the lower intake manifold. It was in there sold.

Below is the Updated bracket: This one comes with a shouldered bolt and a keyhole style attachment point much like a picture frame but has no locating tangs/dowels to keep the bracket aligned. Tightening this shouldered bolt down I able to put the bracket on with the bolt installed and slide it down into the smaller end of the keyhole mount but it is not secure and can spin freely and/or back out. I read a few posts regarding people installing this bracket backward, but these posts never seemed to mention which was correct. This portion leads into my next question regarding the fuel hose routing. I found a post that has a Summit Racing link with a PDF instructions regarding the spider install and routing the #3 behind the number #1 to avoid bracket contact, the pictures were showing the fuel hoses already facing away from the vacuum port on the back of the spider. My spider looks like the one picture below, where the hoses are facing toward the vacuum port and I really had to bent them back to get them to the "right" direction (feeling like they could break at any second).

Now, assuming that the new bracket doesn't have location tangs and just the shoulder bolt letting the bracket move, very tense fuel hose redirection and router puts a lot of pressure on the spider unit, pushing it back into the smaller keyhole slot on the shoulder bolt which is what I want to confirm is by design as a way to retain the bracket in combination with the upper intake manifold.
In addition to that redirection I am concerned about the routing and curve of #3 and more so #5 which seems such a drastic turn that it may be kinked. Its hard to tell with the black sleeve over the hose and the injector wires. Below is not mine intake but an example of the routing where I think my #5 is even more drastic than this picture.

Lastly, regarding the o-rings for the "fuel pipe" near the fire wall.

When I went to put these fuel lines back on to do the pressure test on the spider I found the 2 o-rings between this pipe kit and the hard lines to the tank were falling apart. I didn't think I had them and would have to find them but found post about Fel Pro (MS98002T) gasket kit I am using that said it contained these two o-rings among others but my kit doesn't seem to have them. I just need to verify that the kit 1. should have included these (which I believe it was by the ad picture below) 2. if it was, which are they from the picture and what are these other gaskets I am missing from the picture.

Thank you,

Old 10-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Anyone done this swap recently?