2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Note that you have a "Fault" under adapter error count in the post #89 screen shot. Wonder what that is about.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
You may be on to something with the temp only going up to ~166° max. If it hit the magic number of 167° (probably did for 30 seconds anyways) then the P0128 would not set - yet the AIR pump test would never run at temps below 176° (It is not absolutely confirmed that P0410 conditions must be met for readiness monitor test to run, but I believe that is true) and this seems to be where you are operating. I would put a thermostat in it. One of the few cheap and easy things to do on a Blazer! 195° is what it takes. Replace ECT sensor if that doesn't get the PCM to see 195°. Also cheap and easy!!

Who would have thought we would be investigating engine temperature when we started?? This one is turning into a epic classic!!

I previously got an intermittent P0128 when I had a bad thermostat before.

DTC P0128: ENGINE COOLANT FAILS TO REACH PRESET TARGET TEMPERATURE

Circuit Description
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor monitors temperature of the coolant. This input is used by PCM for engine control and as an enabling criteria for some diagnostics. The airflow coming into the engine is accumulated and used to determine if engine has been driven within conditions that would allow engine coolant to heat up normally to thermostat regulating temperature. If coolant temperature does not increase normally or does not reach regulating temperature of thermostat, diagnostics that use engine coolant temperature as enabling criteria may not run when expected. This DTC will only run once per ignition cycle within the enabling conditions. If engine coolant fails to reach a preset target temperature before a calculated airflow is accumulated, DTC P0128
will set.

Conditions For Running DTC
  • DTCs P0105, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0122, P0123, P0130, P0131, P0132, P0171, P0172, P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0300, P0301-P0304, P0336, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P0502 and P0503 for automatic transmission only, or P1441 are not set.
  • The engine has run more than 30 seconds and less than 20 minutes.
  • The minimum Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is more than 19°F ( -7°C).
  • The ECT at start up is less than 158°F (70°C).
Conditions For Setting DTC
  • The average airflow is more than 15 g/s.
  • The vehicle has traveled more than 1.5 miles over 25 MPH.
  • Enough airflow has entered the engine and the ECT has not risen to 167°F (75°C) for 30 seconds.
Well thank you Marshalls for letting me be a bum and use your parking lot for car repairs. I picked up a 195 and popped that in real quick and bam. the secodary air test passed 2 minutes later! woo now lets see if i can pass smog finally. I can't wait to be back at some property so i don't have to throw parts at things to troubleshoot, it is what is is I guess.
I just double checked and I cannot click on that error. I am going to try and remove many gauges and see if that is overloading it though I checked the read speed while I was out there too and the current is 9.7, max was 14.4 and average was 9.6.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Doubledown
Well thank you Marshalls for letting me be a bum and use your parking lot for car repairs. I picked up a 195 and popped that in real quick and bam. the secodary air test passed 2 minutes later! woo now lets see if i can pass smog finally. I can't wait to be back at some property so i don't have to throw parts at things to troubleshoot, it is what is is I guess.
I just double checked and I cannot click on that error. I am going to try and remove many gauges and see if that is overloading it though I checked the read speed while I was out there too and the current is 9.7, max was 14.4 and average was 9.6.
So the readiness monitor is complete and no codes??? If so, Woo-Hoo!!! Good job!! Take it in for the smog test!!

Looks like correct engine temp is one of the keys to getting the A.I.R pump emissions readiness test to take place.

Car Gauge Pro doesn't monitor a gauge PID unless it appears in a gauge screen on your device. So if Dashboard is closed - no PIDs are being monitored (and only ones in current view are monitored when inside Dashboard).

I believe you have exactly the same BAFX adapter that I have. Maybe it has developed a fault. I'll check the same as you on mine tonight. I don't believe there is any reason for a 2000 system to be different than a 2001 system. Do you have the "faster communication" enabled in the OBD2 adapter settings?

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Starting Member

So the readiness monitor is complete and no codes??? If so, Woo-Hoo!!! Good job!! Take it in!!

Car Gauge Pro doesn't monitor a gauge PID unless it appears in a gauge screen on your device. So if Dashboard is closed - no PIDs are being monitored (and only ones in current view are monitored when inside Dashboard).

I believe you have exactly the same BAFX adapter that I have. Maybe it has developed a fault. I'll check the same as you on mine tonight. I don't believe there is any reason for a 2000 system to be different than a 2001 system. Do you have the "faster communication" enabled in the OBD2 adapter settings?
yup ..all readiness are set to ready and havent had a code in quite awhile.. Just passed smog and am in line at the dmv to get this out of the way and move o to the electrical door issues, lift and wheels/tires.
I will have to look i to that fault. I was pretty sure it was a solid and real reader..the reviews on amazon were people confirming it wasnt a knock off...though not sure how they would really know either. I wouldn't think a 2000 or 2001 would be different either bit who knows. Atleast i can check these things parked in my spot rather than hood up in shopping centers parking lots haha. I will check the fast read here after the dmv.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Starting Member

Looking at the status without currently being connected it says fast communication is enabled and has an OK check Mark on it. So guesaing that was going alright.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Default Fixed it/Got all the emissions readiness monitors to pass for California emissions

Originally Posted by Doubledown
yup ..all readiness are set to ready and havent had a code in quite awhile.. Just passed smog and am in line at the dmv to get this out of the way and move o to the electrical door issues, lift and wheels/tires.
I will have to look i to that fault. I was pretty sure it was a solid and real reader..the reviews on amazon were people confirming it wasnt a knock off...though not sure how they would really know either. I wouldn't think a 2000 or 2001 would be different either bit who knows. At least i can check these things parked in my spot rather than hood up in shopping centers parking lots haha. I will check the fast read here after the dmv.
Hey Congrats!! You don't know how satisfying it is to work with someone like you. For those who are following this thread...... HE FIXED IT AND GOT ALL THE EMISSIONS READINESS MONITORS TO PASS AND READY FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS TESTING!! Not a small accomplishment.

Maybe my BAFX OBD2 adapter will give the fault too! Lets see if they are the same in all respects, or if we can identify a problem or issue. I'm pretty interested in Car Gauge Pro do's/don'ts/wont's on different Blazers - as I tend to recommend it. Especially because CGP can read and clear ALL the codes including PCM, Body, SIR, TCCM, ABS, etc. But through this forum I found out that CGP will not do enhanced GM PIDs at all on 1996/1997. I did find that another program, Dash Command will do the cam sensor retard as well as the GM PIDs o the 1996/1997 Blazers and all the rest, but it costs more each time you add a vehicle and it is more limited than CGP for non-powertrain. So your help with this will be appreciated. If we can get your Car Gauge Pro all working like I think it should on a 2000, then that will be good for you and anyone else that wants to use it. If not you can return whatever stuff you have bought. I still think we need to adjust your idle screw to match my IAC counts at idle and make sure your IAC works good by it backing up when you are above idle. Torque Pro could not read that PID, remember?

Anyone else using Car Gauge Pro on a 2000 Blazer with a BAFX OBD2 adapter?

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Starting Member

Hey Congrats!! You don't know how satisfying it is to work with someone like you. For those who are following this thread...... HE FIXED IT AND GOT ALL THE EMISSIONS READINESS MONITORS TO PASS AND READY FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS TESTING!! Not a small accomplishment.

Maybe my BAFX OBD2 adapter will give the fault too! Lets see if they are the same in all respects, or if we can identify a problem or issue. I'm pretty interested in Car Gauge Pro do's/don'ts/wont's on different Blazers - as I tend to recommend it. Especially because CGP can read and clear ALL the codes including PCM, Body, SIR, TCCM, ABS, etc. But through this forum I found out that CGP will not do enhanced GM PIDs at all on 1996/1997. I did find that another program, Dash Command will do the cam sensor retard as well as the GM PIDs o the 1996/1997 Blazers and all the rest, but it costs more each time you add a vehicle and it is more limited than CGP for non-powertrain. So your help with this will be appreciated. If we can get your Car Gauge Pro all working like I think it should on a 2000, then that will be good for you and anyone else that wants to use it. If not you can return whatever stuff you have bought. I still think we need to adjust your idle screw to match my IAC counts at idle and make sure your IAC works good by it backing up when you are above idle. Torque Pro could not read that PID, remember?

Anyone else using Car Gauge Pro on a 2000 Blazer with a BAFX OBD2 adapter?
I appreciate the help and of course will help out with the scanner tool. Something I can give back on this forum unless for some reason someone starts asking mustang, jeep, CRX or motorcycle specific questions.
I am glad I am passed the time crunch now and can take the ghetto permit tag off and put my stickers on. Was waited to get pulled over for that since it has to be in the back window which has the factory tint. I would like to get the idle and everything set correctly now. I will get my other threads regarding the door and fog light electrical issues going again along with the lift and tires.
I am still considering keeping the gasket set and the multi point injection and get that in there after the fuel filter, but all these other sensors I will be sending back here shortly.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 PM

I don't see any difference in the OBD2 adapters other than mine isn't marked BAFX. Same fault is seen on mine. Same version of Elm. Mine is a little faster, but could be my PCM is faster. The rest of the screens you will need to match up. My version of Car Gauge Pro is 3.66.26. My version of Torque Pro is 1.8.205.

o

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-09-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Starting Member

Attached are my screens. I assume the lack of an error this time was just me turning the key on to get the screen shots.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

From my coder's point of view I can tell that the operating system (like android) is handling the drivers to setup a BT connection to the dongle. Then it provides the socket/pipe to the system so it can read/write data. As far as it (the android) can detect the cheap dongles, the CarGauge should be able to read them too. In other words, in my opinion it's CG developers choice to ban the cheap devices. I don't see any other reasons that they don't work together.

Last edited by Mike.308; 01-16-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement