2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

But Mike, Doubledown has same exact OBD2 adapter as I do - BAFX bluetooth from Amazon - and we are running the same version of the software. Mine works for toggling AIR pump and his doesn't. I think his adapter may have a problem - either that or 2000 Blazer is not the same as 2001 Blazer.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-16-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Also reminded me from the last few shots mine has never pulled up the VIN or model like yours does in torque, but did in CG

Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doubledown
Also reminded me from the last few shots mine has never pulled up the VIN or model like yours does in torque, but did in CG
I see that now. Strange. Something is different and it's not limited to just one app. Are you interested in trying another BAFX bluetooth adapter. Amazon will take it back if results are not different for you. They are very good about that.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Starting Member

I would be but I just went in my past orders on Amazon and clicked it to get this link (
Amazon Amazon
) for the one I ordered Nov 2016. I assume this is the same you are referring to?
So unless I got a a knock off from the same seller, or it is just bunk then I am not sure what else to try.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:59 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the world of a non-open source code Now we can make assumptions, but can't legally prove them. Reverse engineering or disassembling is forbidden and against EULA.
A simple fact - if Torque can use one dongle to exchange the information, then hardware layer (dongle) is fine. IDK, maybe CG query the properties of the driver and bans some devices? It reminds me a similar story I had with FTDI converter chips:
https://hackaday.com/2016/02/01/ftdi...e-chips-again/
I can't give the answer here Best would be to ask CG developers. I did once, but no one even bother replying.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 AM

I would be but I just went in my past orders on Amazon and clicked it to get this link (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for the one I ordered Nov 2016. I assume this is the same you are referring to?
So unless I got a a knock off from the same seller, or it is just bunk then I am not sure what else to try.
Oh, I'm just thinking that something may have gone wrong with your device since you bought it. I'm not implying it is a knock off of anything (not sure what device would be the original non-knockoff Bluetooth OBD2 adapter). I don't think an original exists. AFAIK both BAFX and their competitors all sell Chinese products, with some being better quality electronics than others. It's just that BAFX is known to sell the better ones (and they charge more for them).

BAFX has a good reputation for the ones they have sold. They are the ones for competitors on Amazon to try to beat. I would try another one. I do know they changed their appearance in the last year, but people still reported good results.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-17-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Oh, I'm just thinking that something may have gone wrong with your device since you bought it. I'm not implying it is a knock off of anything (not sure what device would be the original non-knockoff Bluetooth OBD2 adapter). I don't think an original exists. AFAIK both BAFX and their competitors all sell Chinese products, with some being better quality electronics than others. It's just that BAFX is known to sell the better ones (and they charge more for them).

BAFX has a good reputation for the ones they have sold. They are the ones for competitors on Amazon to try to beat. I would try another one. I do know they changed their appearance in the last year, but people still reported good results.
I am wrapping up the lift and tires, now some fender trimming, but I also just ordered another ODBII Bluetooth to check it out. I noticed the other day my ABS screen stopped working too so maybe it is the adapter.
I also picked up a Hypertech tuner so I can set the speedo to the tires and also try to tune, so I would really like to get the base idle and timing set.
I also need to check into a new noise. Scarily sounds like a lift, as it seems to be RPM contingent, but it came on only after doing the body lift. I am really hoping the fan is catching the shroud a tiny bit, but it doesn't seem that loud or consistent. And as odd as this sounds too I was really hoping it to be an exhaust leak that maybe there is an exhaust hanger tired to the body which pulled a bad angle on maybe a header coupler or something.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 AM

I am wrapping up the lift and tires, now some fender trimming, but I also just ordered another ODBII Bluetooth to check it out. I noticed the other day my ABS screen stopped working too so maybe it is the adapter.
I also picked up a Hypertech tuner so I can set the speedo to the tires and also try to tune, so I would really like to get the base idle and timing set.
I also need to check into a new noise. Scarily sounds like a lift, as it seems to be RPM contingent, but it came on only after doing the body lift. I am really hoping the fan is catching the shroud a tiny bit, but it doesn't seem that loud or consistent. And as odd as this sounds too I was really hoping it to be an exhaust leak that maybe there is an exhaust hanger tired to the body which pulled a bad angle on maybe a header coupler or something.
Please let me know when you get the new adapter - I'm really curious.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Starting Member

Well I finally got around to giving the new adapter a shot and got everything setup but all the same items will not work/display.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM

Well I finally got around to giving the new adapter a shot and got everything setup but all the same items will not work/display.
OK - looks like there is some differences for Car Gauge Pro between 2001 and 2000 PCMs. Thanks for checking. Appreciate it. At least you can do the Cam Sensor Retard PID and should be able to read codes from other modules on the data bus with it.

I'm sure Amazon will take the BAFX adapter back that you just bought. Dosn't seem to be anything wrong with your old one.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement