2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is my Blazer haunted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
Small Arms Collector is on a distinguished road
Default Is my Blazer haunted?

So my 1998 Blazer thinks it is Christine. I was leaning over the driver’s seat the other night to put something back in the glovebox, keys in my hand, when the truck started on it’s own. I sat down, put in the keys and tried to stop it, but it would not turn off, I had to sit down, put it into gear, then put it back in to park again to get it to turn off. Today, I was having a new battery installed, I’m standing next to the truck, with the keys in my hand, and the parts guy was just starting to loosen the battery cables to install a new battery when it started again, then stopped for a second, then started again. Again, it would not turn off, I had to put it into gear then back into park to get it to turn off.

So what could be causing this? An old remote starter I am unaware of that is getting interference from somewhere? A faulty ignition switch? Ghosts? Demons? Gremlins? A Lovecraftian Horror? Any ideas?

Do I need a mechanic or Holly Water?

Last edited by Small Arms Collector; 05-18-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Interested... love the story either way... I would call her christine if you dont have a name for her lol

Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Small Arms Collector
So my 1998 Blazer thinks it is Christine. So what could be causing this? An old remote starter I am unaware of that is getting interference from somewhere? A faulty ignition switch? Ghosts? Demons? Gremlins? A Lovecraftian Horror? Any ideas?

Do I need a mechanic or Holly Water?
Can't be Christine as the blazer would be self repairing.
The remote start theory is prob. right on the money
1ST - time was prob a bad positive connection or post in the battery and with your movement in the vehicle there was positive arcing at the battery.
2ND - time I have no doubt the parts store hand was removing the positive cable first.
And I will bet you do have a old unknown remote start.
By arking the positive it creates a voltage surge in the computer and activates the remote start feature.
Same reason why you need too always unhook the negative cable first and when installing a battery the positive is hooked up first . It preloads the voltage in the system and keeps the positive voltage from surging thu-out the system ...

Last edited by odat; 05-18-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Another reason to unhook the negative first, is if the wrench slips, and makes contact wirh a metal surface, it's negative touching negative, no spark. If you take the positive off first, with the negative still on, and the wrench slips, you just put a hard fault right on the battery.

As for the original question, I dunno. Maybe light some candles in the shape of a pentagram, and kindly ask the demons to possess a diffenet vehicle?

Old 05-20-2019, 05:51 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I have a remote start in my 98....appears to be original, or near original.

Do you have a small antenna on the windshield? Mine is inside on the driver side, next to the A-pillar. In my wife's car, it's by the rearview mirror.

Might have a "mystery box" located in the driver side of the dash, or mounted underneath the trim... maybe worth poking around for.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:38 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

If I am remembering correctly, the '98 has a known weak ignition switch. Might want to check it out.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Starting Member
Small Arms Collector is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
I have a remote start in my 98....appears to be original, or near original.

Do you have a small antenna on the windshield? Mine is inside on the driver side, next to the A-pillar. In my wife's car, it's by the rearview mirror.

Might have a "mystery box" located in the driver side of the dash, or mounted underneath the trim... maybe worth poking around for.
Actually yes I do, there is an antenna sitting in the windshield, on the driver’s side, with a cord going under the ceiling. I thought it had something to do with my keyless entry.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 AM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Small Arms Collector
Actually yes I do, there is an antenna sitting in the windshield, on the driver’s side, with a cord going under the ceiling. I thought it had something to do with my keyless entry.
Does it have any part numbers or branding?

I think Valet/Bulldog was a popular remote start brand with these trucks, many years ago.