2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

my experience replacing 2000 Blazer window motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Shizzinizz is on a distinguished road
Default my experience replacing 2000 Blazer window motor

just thought i'd write some notes that i didn't find, at least not all in one place, about the process. maybe it helps someone.

you don't have to remove the glass. and you don't need a helper. but you do need something to prop up or wedge the glass at times (i used a piece of wood inside the door)

you don't necessarily have to replace the regulator if the motor is the part that's broken. you can save money by just replacing the motor. but it is easier just installing a new regulator with motor already pre-attached

you DO have to remove the regulator from the door, no matter what. you can't leave the regulator in the door and replace just the motor, i really wanted to but i believe it's impossible.

there's a really good youtube guide here that covers pretty much everything, if you install a regulator with motor pre-attached:

the other videos i saw don't help much

note, when separating the motor from the regulator, you DON'T have to drill a hole and temporarily bolt the regulator together, IF you disarm and remove the spring like this (use a clamp and pliers to control and uncoil it) while the regulator is still riveted in the door: Window regulator spring removal and installation - Autobodystore

and then use the same method to reinstall the spring after the regulator has been bolted back into the door. the window actually went up and down just fine without the spring, but i installed it back anyway.

punching out the regulator rivets took me a long time. learn from my mistakes and use the right sized/shaped punch, and a heavy hammer. i also used a drill with titanium coated bits, which helped some.

it's easier to get the regulator out than back in. that took some patience, and using the new motor to move things to the right angle.

i'm happy with the dorman replacement motor, i installed two in another gm vehicle and all work well. also, even though i bought the motor only, it came with screws and nuts for BOTH the motor and the regulator, which saves a trip to the hardware store.

and, use permatex blue on the threads.

YMMV but this is what worked for me.