2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 07:00 PM
Starting Member
Phamar is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help

I have a 2001 Blazer LS that just broke down and O am trying to figure out whats wrong. I am not well educated on cars so please bear with me. The problem is as follows: all the indicators on the dash started going crazy and then died I pulled tpo the shoulder and after idling for a few minutes the engine died. All electrics have died since then and the battery is dead. The alternator was replaced in may 2021 and the battery was replaced in April. Can anyone help?

Old 08-16-2021, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

You need to charge the battery and then see if the truck will start and if so then measure the battery voltage while it is running. You probably either have a wiring/connector problem or the alternator is faulty.

George

Old 08-17-2021, 12:32 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
You need to charge the battery and then see if the truck will start and if so then measure the battery voltage while it is running. You probably either have a wiring/connector problem or the alternator is faulty.

George
Was able to charge battery and it ran but not.well died when allowed to idle. Voltage when running indicated alternator was charging there was a burning smell as well smelled like plastic. Could not find source and stopped when car was turned off.
Battery gauge and rpm were working but fuel was completely off kilter. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:36 AM
BF Veteran

I am not sure if you are still asking for help. If so:

You need to find the battery/charging system problem since your battery died originally.

Measure the battery voltage with a digital volt meter before you start it and again when its running and report the values. If the charging voltage is proper then you might need to get the battery tested. Also inspect the wires and connectors associated with the alternator, battery and cables.

What do you mean the fuel was off kilter?

If the battery and charging system are OK then there is another reason why the truck is running crappy.

Do you have any codes?

Can you test fuel pressure?

George

Old 08-17-2021, 11:28 AM
Starting Member

George, Thanks for the reply, and yes still asking for help.

I am not sure if you are still asking for help. If so:

You need to find the battery/charging system problem since your battery died originally.

Measure the battery voltage with a digital volt meter before you start it and again when its running and report the values. If the charging voltage is proper then you might need to get the battery tested. Also inspect the wires and connectors associated with the alternator, battery and cables.

Measuring the battery with a multimeter after charging was 12 V and when it was running 13.5 V. A visual inspection did not show any obvious problems when the wires or connections to the alternator, but I am going out to inspect that car again in a bit

What do you mean the fuel was off kilter?
When I got the car running again. the RPM gauge, and battery gauge appeared to function normally. The fuel gauge is completely off the scale its far below the empty marker about 180 degrees from 3/4 full. Its a little difficult to describe.

If the battery and charging system are OK then there is another reason why the truck is running crappy.

Do you have any codes?

No codes

Can you test fuel pressure?

I don't believe I have a way to test this at the moment.

George

Old 08-17-2021, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran

Between 12.0 and 12.66V is a battery between 50% and 100% charge. Charge the battery fully, turn on the headlights for a minute and turn them off to bleed off the surface charge then measure the resting voltage with the truck off and make sure the battery will hold 12.6V. If not, the battery may be defective.

your charging voltage is reasonable, does it stay at 13.5V when it’s running bad?

Because your gas gauge is hosed you may have a fuel pump problem, you’ll need to perform the fuel pressure test in the sticky and if it passes, watch fuel pressure while it’s running crappy. If fuel pressure is OK then it’s on to ignition.

George