2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help gauge cluster prob!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
offroadin974wd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help gauge cluster prob!!!!!

so on my 97 we just put a new motor in it so we decided to roll the odmeter back but upon putting it all back together now the tach doesn't work at all

can't figure out whats wrong

can anyone help????

thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need help gauge cluster prob!!!!!

You do realize that tampering with the odometer is illegal... Even though you may have completely rebuilt the vehicle from the ground up, the mileage that the entire truck has racked up should never be tampered with. New engine means nothing. Even if you purchased a used cluster with a different mileage, you MUST notify the DMV of the mileage discrepancy. With the way records are kept in this, the information age, it'll catch up to you sooner or later.

And I can't imagine why your tach is no longer working... Its not like it is exactly easy to roll back an odometer...

Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: offroadin974wd

so on my 97 we just put a new motor in it so we decided to roll the odmeter back but upon putting it all back together now the tach doesn't work at all

can't figure out whats wrong

can anyone help????

thanks
I agree with Kyle.

Plus when you attempted to "roll back" the mileage your computer now is confused... The computer stores the mileage information in memory so that it can not be "tampered" with and if you do it will cause the truck not to run, since the gauge information does not agree with the computer memory...this memory is inside the computer and the gauge and is not accessable by computer or scan tool software only the Tech Scan tools that the dealers have can legally make changes or a state/federal certified guage/cluster repair station...

Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive my ignorance here. How does the Blazer know the mileage in a cluster that is one of the old analog vs. 98+ digital odometers? This is probably a dumb question I know, sorry lol.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, not a dumb question at all. Being that the PCM doesn't know what the physical mileage on the cluster is in the old analog odometer clusters, it won't balk at it. But it your true mileage will still be stored in the vehicle. Also, with as much information that is recorded say when you get your inspection done, the government knows your mileage as well.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Ahh ok I get what you are talking about. Again forigve me lol, i'm still learning the Blazer. Been a Jeep guy mostly for the past while, it's a learning transition! Thanks for clearing that up for my Kyle!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Lilcheef, my guess is that when you rolled it back that you did not put something back 100%. I would pull it back apart and recheck it all. BTW I DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS EITHER. Korey.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on how the speedo was "rolledback" it is possible that something broke in the process...If a reversible drill was used then it could have been done to fast and some internal gears are now functioning like they should...

Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 PM

Oh I wasn't the one who rolled my odometer back lol I wouldn't do that because, like previous stated, it's illegal! Whoever the guy at the top was the one that did it lol.