2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help replacing hazzard button

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM
95blazer49660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help replacing hazzard button

I broke my hazzard button on my 95 blazer, i got a whole new turn signal switch with the hazzard button. How do i get the top of the cover off? The ignition prevents it from coming off. I need some help so i can get that replaced asap.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 PM
88blackzcand95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are replacing the whole turn signal/hazard unit i can't help you, but....

i replaced only the red hazard plastic button on my 95, and while somewhat easy to do it is also easy to screw up

the problem is that hazard button controls the hazards and the turn signals and even the horn (the horn went off a couple times while i was replacing the button so i removed the horn fuze during the swap so it wouldn't go off)

thats what sux if you screw up/ damage the "port" where the hazard button goes into you could not only lose your hazards (no big deal) but you could lose your turn siganls and maybe even horn (BIG DEAL)

just my 2 cents, be careful and take your time

Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it would seem that the book method wants you to remove the steering wheel before you even start.

You then would have access to the lock cylinder retaining hole where you could use a 1/16" allen wrench to push the lock cylinder retaining pin down, releasing the key cylinder. To do this, you would need to remove the two torx screws holding the upper shroud in place. Then lift the shroud to gain access to this hole. Hold the key in the "START" position, then press down on the aforementioned allen wrench. Release the key to the "RUN" position and pull the lock cylinder set out. Then you should be able to remove the upper shroud.

With that said, I would definitely recommend replacing only the hazard switch. There is an article submission in the Tech Articles (DIY) / Submission/Discussion area that details the PNs and procedure for this.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:28 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

It's really not that difficult. You will need a 4 mm socket to get those little torx screws undone and then you can take the top cover off. Then use a small screwdriver. Pry the whole hazard switch housing out. That is the red switch piece and the black housing that holds it in. Otherwise you might break the switch again or break a piece off the black housing. If you do the switch will be stuck constantly on. But the tab that holds the whole housing in is behind the switch facing the console. Then the new one just slides in and locks in place with that tab.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Those covers are one of the most annoying fabrications next to the removal of
the #3spark plug!In the most careful way i busted the top piece off where it goes on the igniton cylinder.When i had it off,i used a razor to clean it up a bit & now it would take a trained eye to spot the carnage.Being an aging 1995,i really didn't mind the removal i did.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Starting Member
Johnny21usaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help with this too...

i put a new stereo in my 2000 blazer but when i was taking off the dash panel i broke off my emergency flasher and now they stay on constantly if the switch is down. So i pulled it up with pliers and now i dont have turn signals. and anywhere in the middle the horn honks. I really need the signals. not so much the flashers. How do i get the shroud off the steering wheel? it was stuck on the same part as the other guy. I cant get it all the way off. What exactly do i need to replace? is it easy? im just not super excited about the idea of getting hit with the airbag. or even taking the steering wheel off at all...

Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cage47
It's really not that difficult. You will need a 4 mm socket to get those little torx screws undone and then you can take the top cover off.
Yup same way I did it. Get under there and look up..you'll see the screw-thing.

If you decide to replace the entire turn signal switch assembly and not just the hazzard switch you'll need to get creative with the torx screw on the driver door side of the turn signal switch. Without removing the steering wheel there isn't much clearnance. I took a torx bit and a big-*** pair of vice grips and 'made' a torx wrench... worked like a charm.

Good luck!