2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Nerf Bars 4 door 2" body lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Nice work... I really like those rims...
I do too, they are OEM 1984 Dodge Ramcharger wheels, but unforntuately after reading on and on about wheel spacers/adapters being sketchy, and if you are going to use them you should at least have hubcentric ones which cost $320 for a set I decided to order some correct bolt pattern Procomp 51s will swap those tires over to them.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Looks good! Do you have the full set of rims like on the front in the last pic? I think it took me 4 hours to do my body lift. I haven't raised my bumpers yet though.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Looks good! Do you have the full set of rims like on the front in the last pic? I think it took me 4 hours to do my body lift. I haven't raised my bumpers yet though.
4 hours is definitely doable, now thinking about it just watch any number of videos on the lift I found later and it will save a bunch of time searching for the location the instructions were talking about.
If you don't have a tow package, or at least have the aftermarket that goes over the stock bumper brackets your bumper will go way faster. Even more so if you are ok with cutting the frame instead of the bumper. I just rather cut something I can get from the junk yard than on the frame.
Another thing I just thought of that everyone should know beforehand and that I still need to do...is relocate the spare tire drop hole. They didn't mention this at all in the instructions either. The bumper moving up makes the existing hole meant for the jack to lower the spare tire is now a hole to no where that I intent to plug, and I also plan to use a hole saw to cut a new hole in the bumper so i can still access the spare drop.. because of this I couldn't test if a 31" would really fit in the stock spare location.

I do have the full set of 4 along with a matching bolt pattern spare. I picked them up off craigs list after a long drive. The guy had the Ramcharger they came off of there and I was able to see the 35s on 20" he put on. The tires are maybe at 97% and the spare has never been on the road. He just wanted bigger and the bling I suppose so it was a good deal. I am now just taking the tires and swapping them to the pro comps I ordered and will sell the Turbines.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Yeah my custom front bumper is welded to the frame and no factory tow package. So I just sawzalled the center of the rear bumper. I'm building a custom rear bumper. I just saw your other post on the wheels. I thought I saw adapters on Amazon. Pro comps will look good though. I'll be doing add a leaf and trimming my front fenders to clear 33s here soon.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:28 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Doubledown
I got the body lift done the other weekend. It really wasn't too bad at all. The instructions were lacking a bit in the picture department on the items that you have to unclip (brake line and wiring harness locations) but just run along the frame and you will find them. Other than that were just a few little differences in the bodywork between the Jimmy and the Blazer used instructions. 6-8 hours is a good estimate for the driveway work I would have been done in 6 easy if the below issue was mentioned before hand: (This is a Zone Offroad kit) they didn't mention is that their bumper relocation bracket will not work if you have the factory tow package. I ended up having to remove the factory tow package, order a curt aftermarket hitch to get it to work. They also mention in the instructions, but not before you buy on the site that you will need to trim the rear frame ends to get the bumper to fit. I opted to notch by bumper instead of messing with the frame which took my plasma cutter and a bit of extra time so allot for that time if you are using a cut off wheel or something like that.
And for the last hang up, having put on the nerf bars above, GoRhino, that came with extended body bolts to mount them 12-1.75 x140mm.. well with the body lift I now need even longer bolts which no one local had but Ace hardware oddly enough but they 1: only had two bolts of the four I needed 2: they wanted $7 per bolt... Forget that!
Ordered a package of 10 12-1.75x160mm and should have those hopefully within the week and will have pictures post body lift with the nerf bars one as well.
So, how do You like the Your new look of engine bay? Way better access to a things like distributor, bell housing, etc, huh?
I made the body lift from a scratch, starting from polyurethane shaft cut into slices and drilled and a set of M12 bolts of 150mm length. Actually, the lift set doesn't offer anything more (well maybe except the fuel tank hose extender) and it is still a rubber, not polyurethane. The polyurethane cost me around $50, bolts with washers $7. And the solid fuel hose about a dollar or two.
As for the rear bumper, I remember the mounting brackets had a set of two holes in a vertical line. I used bottom one of them to go with the upper bolt, and drilled another one just by the bottom of the bracket for the bottom bolt. So no changes to my bumper nor to a frame.

Aha, and under the circumstances, I'd advise 2" wheel spacers for the rear rims (in a front I had the 30" tire scratching the wells).

Last edited by Mike.308; 01-21-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Starting Member

Well, everything came in, after some fun shipping issues and coloring issues. The hub rings i got are blue.. when they showed as black which would have matched the rim but I will have to work with the company on that. The wheels came in after some confusion with OnTrac, and I got my black lugs today so on go the wheel.
Definitely need some trimming. After the body lift and suspension lift they fit in fine, but at about %80 turn they would rub the rear fenders. I trimmed the rear a bit, and then luckly the Jimmy fancy trim covered most of that. I need to test it doing some wheeling before I weld up some patches on the metal. I will have to report back on that. But to complete the circle on the title nerf bars and lift I am adding the pictures now with the suspension lift and no nerfs and then with the nerfs.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Nerf bars look good with the body lift! Spray the frame black and it will look finished. Is it just the pics or did you chop of of the bottom half of your fenders?

Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Nerf bars look good with the body lift! Spray the frame black and it will look finished. Is it just the pics or did you chop of of the bottom half of your fenders?
Thanks, I may get around to dusting iff and painting the frame somrday, I have some electrical issues and new odd sounds I need to track down first haha. In the pictures I hadnt put back on the plastic beauty cover. Its got that goldfish trim following the body line all the way into the front fender. I am gurssing thise is a Jimmy and maybe a bravada thing? The blazers I see seem to be just the metal with the stick on badging.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

I've got the same color scheme on my 2001 Jimmy, took a couple rattle cans of spay-on bed liner and paint tape and covered that weird looking silver trim, off sets it nicely,