2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new brakes... still squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new brakes... still squeeling

i just put new front pads and rotors on about 2 weeks ago and they worked for about 6 hours and then they started to make the annoying high pitched squeeling noise when i applied my bakes. it is almost as if i never put new stuff on. i had my car in for an oil change about the time i was planning on doing brakes and had the guy check all the way around. he said that the rear drums are not engaging correctly, if at all. he also said that the front pads would wear down faster. i havent taken the wheels off to check but i will tomorrow. would the rears not working right cause the fronts to wear THAT fast??? and also is fixing my rear drums something i can do myself or is it better to bring it to a shop?

thanks in advance

Old 06-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: new brakes... still squeeling

When you replaced the front pads, did you resurface the rotors? Also, did you remove and relubricate the slider pins? If you didn't do either of those, then there in lies your problem. If the pins aren't relubricated to ensure that the caliper can slide easily side to side, it won't be releasing properly, probably causing the outside pad to always be in contact with the rotor. If the rotors weren't atleast resurfaced, then any imperfections in the surface may be causing vibrations in the pad, hence the squealling.

I also always use some anti-squeak compound on the back of the pads wherever they contact the caliper and I also clean and lubricate any of the slide rails where the pads slide along the caliper bracket.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:29 PM

i completely replaced my rotors since my onld ones were shot. no i did not relubricate the slider pins. i will try that tomorrow and let you know what i find when i have them apart.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 PM

i took a look today and the pads are fine. regreased the pins and sprayed brake cleaner. it worked for about an hour and now they are back to the same as before. this is getting really frustrating since i payed to have the good stuff and they are acting like CRAP!! i am out of ideas... any suggestions?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did the new pads come with new caliper bracket shims? How tight did the pads fit into the caliper bracket? I would suggest you clean all of the pad contact surfaces on the caliper with some emry cloth (sand paper) to remove any scale that may be on them. Brake cleaner alone will not clean these parts enough.

Also, I use a product that you spray on the back of the pads and allow to dry. This dampens the vibrations that cause the squeals. But everything must be cleaned down to pretty darn near fresh metal for everything to work as it should.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM

GOT IT!!! i called napa this morning and they said to bring in the pads. brought them in and got a new set. i was missing the shims so that (i think) was the problem. got home greased everything up and now they are awesome. no squeels no chirps nothing.

thanks for the help

Old 06-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

No problem, glad I could!!