2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New eBrake pedal assembly wants to stay depressed, but..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member
elrobis is on a distinguished road
Default New eBrake pedal assembly wants to stay depressed, but..

So I continue to work on a new-to-me '02 Blazer, 4-door, 4wd. This weekend I replaced the original eBrake pedal assembly with a new one from gmpartsdirect.com. The old unit--if it worked at all--would release slowly, or with considerable encouragement. Now that I'm finished with the installation, the new assembly has a tendency to "want to stay depressed", and not respond to the eBrake release toggle. It's responsiveness is about 50/50, and the odds of it wanting to stick increase when it's sitting overnight or in the parking lot all day while I'm at work.

Now, here's a clue: When it's sticking, so far, I can get to release if I depress the pedal just a little bit more then pull the release toggle a second time. And it rapidly disengages like I would expect. I also have a '97, 4-door, 4wd, and even though I use my eBrake religiously, it has never had any trouble of this nature.

One thought--the eBrake on this '02 (the one I'm servicing) is much stiffer than the one in the '97, and it seems to be considerably tighter.

Does anyone know if the eBrake pedal assembly is prone to binding if the brake cable is adjusted too tight? I haven't tried experimenting with it yet because I've only just realized it has a pattern behavior, and before I tinker I thought I'd survey the community for any conventional wisdom I may be lacking.

Ahh..... one last thought. It appears to me that the previous owner was perplexed by the eBrake problem, and there is some evidence that they struggled with it, possibly over-tightening it. Where the eBrake cable runs along the outside of the frame, at right about the middle guide, the cable has some signs of stress (pic below). But if that's the issue, it doesn't make sense to me how depressing the pedal further would free it up.

My best thought was to try loosening the cable a bit. But is there a tactic for setting optimal tightness?

You guys are always a big help so thanks in advance for any insights!

Here's a pic of the cable in the location showing the stress--best pic I could get looking up toward the light. The eBrake was released for the photo.

Site of the eBrake cable showing some stress and minor damage.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I wonder if the pawl in the ratchet mechanism is sticky with dried grease.

For properly setting the park-brake cables, there are two adjustments. First is the adjustment at the park-brake shoes so that they do not have to travel very far before touching the inside of the drum. There is an adjustment wheel that sets this. Then there is the equalizer adjustment under the chassis.

If you can put slack in the cable at the equalizer and your park-brake pedal still does not release easily, then I would guess the fault must be in the pedal mechanism.