2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New engine.... Now what???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:09 AM
|
06challenger is on a distinguished road
Default New engine.... Now what???

I have been reading for the last week or so and I can’t find any thing on this, so now its time for me to ask you guys! I have a 2002 blazer 4 door, 4 wheel drive and I blew the motor in it! I got an engine out of a junk yard with about 70,000 miles on it. I stripped it and completely rebuilt it. After I got it all painted up and installed it, it seems that something isn’t right! It runs great but some times it’s hard to start! Kind of like the timing is out. And I am getting horrible gas mileage! Like 10mph a gal! Yikes! I took a scanner to the com and every thing checked ok, except the code for cam and crank correlation. I tried to do a relearn and it wouldn’t work??? I think I need a new scanner! ???? I don’t get it! So what do you guys think I should do??? It runs great, but like I said it’s hard to start maybe 50% of the times and the fuel mileage is horrible. And also if this helps the exhaust smell different... and I can’t put my finger on it, but it smell different! And I have noticed a lot of water (moisture, condensation) coming from the exhaust tip! So if you can let me know what you guys think! Thanks for you time
r/Mike

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:23 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it a p1345 code? I am stuck there as well. The smell could be a bad cat converter.

Old 06-03-2010 | 11:53 AM
|
Default yup....

its that code! P1345. i tried to do the relearn and it didnt work.... the scanner never went to the next step???? so beats me! i guess i have to try a different scanner~! can this code make that big of a difference? with the fuel and all???? also its def not a bad cat! it doesnt smell like sulfur or anything.... it almost smells like its running lean???? kind of like a metal smell.... but i think its only when i first start it wile the car is in choke mode!!!!......

Old 06-03-2010 | 05:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not all scanners are capable of doing a CASE learn on every vehicle. It has to be programmed with the proper RPM cutoff, etc.

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:06 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Another possibility is your distributor or timing chain is a tooth off. Did you check out the tech article for the code? If your scanner can show cam retard info it'd be helpful.

Old 06-04-2010 | 07:31 AM
|
Default hmmm......

i didnt check my what my timing was wile i was running it! the scanner did say i was good to drive! lol.... but i know 100% that i am good with my timing gears and chain. and i know my distributor is in at top dead... like i said the blazer runs great, but sometimes it seems like its hard to start. as if it were like the timing is way out... like it will crank crank crank... stop...... then crank crank crank and then fire! ??????????