2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New forum member- 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
AllenValk66 is on a distinguished road
Default New forum member- 2 questions

First; what a great forum! I have a '96 Blazer, V6 4wd engine. For years I've always had it repaired by dealers, etc. Due to the costs, I want to do more on my own. Reading the advice here, I ordered a Factory Manual on CD's from eBay. Until that arrives, could I ask:
Last weekend, I replaced my starter motor and left valve cover gasket. Is it my lack of recent (20 years ago) repair experience, or has the engine compartment space been drastically downsized? I spent a good 2 hours on the starter motor, and the left valve cover gasket took all sorts of disassembly!

2nd question: On my '96, I want to replace the original factory headlight bulbs with something brighter, but for the life of me, I cannot find/figure out how to get to the headlamp bulbs. Any advice/pointers as to what I need to remove? I used to be an automotive line tech many years ago, but I've been out of touch for a few years. (20+?)

One more question, added on after posting: The brakes on this have always been mushy, as compared to most other cars I've owned. I've had them checked by 3 Chevy, dealers, they've bled the brakes, replaced rotors, pads, etc. and still, since I've had it for 10 years, the braking is just plain "mushy" and soft. Is this common for the '96 Blazer model?

Also, many thanks to the posting of the How-to for the Oil-cooler-line replacement!- I'll be doing that myself.

Last edited by AllenValk66; 12-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I believe that your headlights are the sealed one piece headlights if I am correct, I have a friend that has a blazer like yours and the option would be to completely replace the light..... as it is a "sealed beam" if I am correct.... I believe... Kyle should chime in soon enough.....

Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yes, the 96 still has sealed beams. Not sure how you get to them as I have never worked on that model but, if you looking for something brighter you might check into something like Hella. I have a pair of them in my '84 and they are pretty bright.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Post up pictures of your lights as there are 2 different types

Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM
AllenValk66 is on a distinguished road

I found that "smashin_blazer" has the exact same year, model and headlight structure as I do; here's his pictures on this site https://blazerforum.com/forum/members/smashin_blazer-33462-albums-garage-smashin_blazer-2809/
Owned by smashinblazer
https://blazerforum.com/forum/garage...hinblazer.html

He has the "HID" installed as per his pics. I don't know if I can afford or need to go that far; I'm still wondering: How do I pull these lights out to change them? Do I take the grille off? Do I pull them out from behind? And if I can ask one more, what can I put in to brighten them? Thanks much for your reply! I do appreciate that.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
CSCustomCars is on a distinguished road

Silver star headlights are probably gonna be your best bet for brighter. As for taking them out, I have no idea. They are a sealed beam, if I remember correctly, but they are sealed beam, behind a light scattering lens. For the dual beam sealed bulb you have to remove 4 screws to take off the headlight trim ring, then the headlight pops right out. But the single beam, dual bulb (high bulb and low bulb), I think they have to be removed from the back side. I think you have to take the housing out, and then the bulb comes out of the back of the headlight housing.

And yes, the the engine compartments have gotten a lot smaller in the last 20 years. You think your blazer is small? You should take a look at some of these new imports. I can barely get my arm in there. At least with my jimmy, I can get my arm in, even if it does get stuck coming out!

Now, chevy truck brakes have always been spongy. It's just the way they are. Every chevy truck I've had has had that soft spongy pedal feel. Even with all new components. Just kinda the way it is.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 12-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.