2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New trans now no start..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Beginning Member
gaetz1985 is on a distinguished road
Default New trans now no start..

I apologize if this is the wrong place for me to post this I just really need help and I know you guys know your stuff.. I'm a regular over at modded mustangs.com and get driven nuts by questions thatre answered easily using google but I cant seem to find much information on this.. Or in other words I cant for the life of me figure out what I did wrong.. 1997 Olds Bravada.. transmission goes out.. I believe it was valve body failure that led to burning it up on the interstate..Anyway.. I rebuilt it myself using another 4l60e for parts and a rebuild kit.. I put the trans and transfer case, all that back together.. go to start the truck and get nothing... dash lights and all that work but no action at the starter.. so I suspect the neutral safety switch.. I swap them out and still nothing.. the shape of these switches leads me to believe that both could be bad.. so out comes my trusty test light... power at the starter..gm goodwrench friend of mine picture messages me a picture of the schematic for the wiring.. ignition, to NSS is purple, NSS to starter solenoid yellow..So I have a buddy turn the key for me and I'm not getting any power at all at the plug to my NSS.. What now?!? I'm stressin
here..

A pic of my truck..
New trans now no start..-0319121229.jpg

Last edited by gaetz1985; 03-21-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Make sure the 2 plugs in the back NSS are plugged in tight and snapped together

Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member

They are.. I suspected the switch at first but theres no pwer to any wire in either of the two pigtails..where should have power?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i had this problem when i got my tranny replaced turned out to be a dead neutral safter switch on the transmission.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Beginning Member
dehackin is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you might have to adjust the nss up or down it might think it is r instead of p

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Beginning Member

I racked my brain on it and decided to go look again last nite and I do have power in the bigger of the two pigtails..guess I was grounding my test light in a poopy spot... But I have power to purple and pink.. How does a guy bypass this switch? In my schematic it says purple wire from ignition to NSS, and it has power..then it says from NSS to starter is yellow.. So in theory shouldnt I just be able to wire these two together and have bypassed it? I just want the truck to start :/... If I can make sure thats what it'll be I'll just go buy the switch..

Last edited by gaetz1985; 03-22-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Beginning Member

Okay..i spent the fifty bucks..and it still wont start.. What now? I appreciate any help.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

hey stranger....its funny i call this home and visit modded and you probably do the reverse.
when you put the tranny in was the shift locater (proper name?) in the park position?
did you try starting the truck in neutral?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member

Hey nice to see a familiar face! I do do the reverse lol.. I took my trans out and bought another..i swapped the valve body and a new rebuild kit into my original trans and put it back in..when I tore it all down initially I didnt know about glue in the neutral safety and I kinda cracked the housing.. So I figured thats why it wouldnt start..i swapped one in from the parts trans but it looked like someone had taken a torch to it and was all burnt..so I figured again..bad switch.. Bought new one..tried everything.. Actually having a hard time getting the new switch on the shift post on the trans.. But the truck should start w it just hooked up! ..............so I'm baffled.. Poor... And truckless... W my SC motor on a stand next to my non running truck ... Lol

Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

my brother had a cherokee with a neutral switch that was going bad. he had to work the shifter back and fourth on the days it wouldnt start. i believe if there is any issue with the neutral switch its a no go.
did you check the shift linkage on the driver side of the trans? i know when i swapped out my 99 blazer trans i read that those things can be a pain. if the position is off then it wont work. i think that if the switch is bad it wont start no matter what position the shifter is in. i read you have power to the connector....

here is a way to test the switch, you need a helper though.

one thing to try...

To replace the park/neutral switch on the 4L60E, you have to disconnect the shift cable, remove the shift lever, and then you can remove the park/neutral switch. You should be able to manually shift the transmission by hand once the shift cable is disconnected.

links that may help

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...-switch-19605/

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...-issues-57684/

nice bravada by the way.

Quick Reply: New trans now no start..