2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Newbie Blazer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 AM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Newbie Blazer Questions

ORIGINAL: x550x

Maybe I should clarify. He is not just a family friend, but also a high volume car dealer who owns and operates four lots. He has been in the buisness for 35 years. My family has bought over 20 cars from him. None have ever had a problem. If they did, he would make it right. So, that's not really an issue.

I understand the general used car inspection guidelines and I always run title histories as well. I really just want to know if there is anything Blazer specific that I sould look for. I figure you Blazer owners would be the ones to ask since you all have one and know what problems you have encountered.

Not to be rude, but if that is the situation you have, then where is the problem? your asking about problems with the blazer. Everyone on this forum has had one problem or another... they don't make a car that doesn't. You are buying a used car...they are used for a reason, someone bought it, and may have gotten rid of it for a mechanical reason. Thats where you just have to use your better judgement. And I don't care if the guy is your father... used car lots exist for one reason, to make money, that is the bottom line. Thats why they sell extended warranties, they can save you in the long run.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I got ball joints, my right upper control arm bushings, an alignment done all at once. Even with buying the parts myself, it all cost about $750. The ball joints were around $65 each (I needed 4), the bushing was $20. The labour and alignment is what killed me.

Although..anything is cheap compared to my Volvo...

Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I did all 4 balljoints myself for about $300 including the alignment. I think that one of them may have been defective from the get go and I need to replace it again. Good thing it has a lifetime warranty. As long as they aren't VERY bad, you shouldn't need an alignment after replacing them.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Maxima570 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the rear wiper

Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I did all 4 balljoints myself for about $300 including the alignment.
My lack of garage and mechanic experience brings me to either call my friend Kim to do it in her barn, or the shop that she works at, which is handily right down the street from me. My only saving grace is that I get NAPA parts for cost and they don't mind me bringing the parts in myself at the shop I go to. The only thing I'd say I am confident to do on my own these days is change the oil. Next week I get to change the fuel filter myself...hmm..maybe I'll go be a grease monkey for some pocket change LOL

Or, Kyle could just move in with me and save me thousands of dollars throughout the years...plus maybe he'd let me drive his Bravada

Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

About the only common problem with the S-series Blazers is a broken drivers seat handle. Other then that they are very solid trucks. Ball joints seem to be an issue for some, however I have over 105,000 miles on my '00 and don't have any issues with them.

Another thing to watch is the anti-freeze. It must be kept above the low level line in the overflow tank or you WILL have sludge in your cooling system. It has nothing to do with the Dex-Cool. It has to do with the way the air interacts with the chemicals in the Dex-Cool. The best cure is preventive maintainence by making sure your over fill bottle is within the recommended levels.

Sorry I didn't post earlier, however I have been extremely busy on my '87 S10-Blazer. I installed a 3" body lift, trimmed the fender, installed a home made gap guard, replaced the torque converter, replaced the tranny filter and cleaned the trottle vavle and governor. Then I put on 33" tires. And last night I replaced the front brakes, new hoses, calipers, pads, and rotors. I also replaced the pads and rotors on my '00 S10-Blazer. I took pics of both and when I get them back I will do a write up for the tech section.

On the flip side. Teh best place to ask about recuring problems is the dealer service center. They see it everyday......

Oh another thing. AC Delco batteries have a issue with the positive post. It likes to corrode in teh battery and there is no visual way to see the damage. Usually the first sing of trouble is the electrical system acts up and seems to fix itself.

One last thing. This is an internet forum, it takes time to get answers. If you expect an immediate response seek your information elsewhere. Like call the dealer, or in your case, ask your friend. If you have a little patient on internet forums, you will get the answer you seek. To be honest, their is a ton of knowledge in this site, and skill levels vary. And don't let the fact that some of the regulars are girls fool you either. Some of them are very capable and know what they are talking about. Coping an attitude will make not members eager to give out the info you seek.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Hanr3
One last thing. This is an internet forum, it takes time to get answers. If you expect an immediate response seek your information elsewhere. Like call the dealer, or in your case, ask your friend. If you have a little patient on internet forums, you will get the answer you seek. To be honest, their is a ton of knowledge in this site, and skill levels vary. And don't let the fact that some of the regulars are girls fool you either. Some of them are very capable and know what they are talking about. Coping an attitude will make not members eager to give out the info you seek.
HERE HERE!!! Well said!!!