2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
pineapplekid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No brake lights

I just bought a 2000 blazer zr2 a few days ago, and my brake lights dont work(the light above the rear window still works). My bulbs arent burnt out, because they flash when i use the keyless entry, and the fuses are intact...I had a parts store run a test for codes and it didnt give any at all. Also i should add that it doesnt have a cat anymore, and the sensor was replaced just before i bought it, the brake lights were working before then. Anybody have any ideas? thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No brake lights

Do the turn signals and/or hazards work?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Your hazard switch is probably stuck in between the contacts...try pressing the haz switch several times to see if they start working, if not then the contacts are probably open inside the switch and you'll have to replace the entire multifunction switch. Just for info, the keyless entry system flashes the PARK lamps, not the STOP lamps. True, they are the same bulbs, but they use different filiments for the park and stop lmaps.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
pineapplekid is an unknown quantity at this point

the turn signals work, and the hazards..um, they work but only if you hold it halfway in between, they dont work if you press them in all the way.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like the hazard switch is the culprit. Here's the first thread that popped up in a search:

Emergency Light switch broke?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey kid.

I realize this is an old thread but just in case you haven't fixed the problem, I have your answer. This condition is actually quite common, hence the reason G.M. issued a recall. It was quite sometime ago so you may or may not be able to get a dealer to replace the effected part(s) I had the same problem with my 01 and the dealer replaced it free of charge. Anyway if you go to the recall list at the top of the page and click it you will be taken to the list. Click on the appropriate model year and it will show you all the recalls for your blazer. The problem of which you speak IS listed.
Or you could just call your local G.M. dealer and see if they will replace it for you. (have your VIN# handy,........to see if it was already replaced for the previous owner) if it wasn't, I personally wouldn't take no for an answer.

Hope this helps,
good luck!

Gator