2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
rlreusch is on a distinguished road
Default no brake lights

I have a 96 blazer and the brake lights are not working. All other lights work including the tail lights and turn signals. I wired in a tailer light receptacle on the blazer and when I went to test them, they all worked but the brakes lights. I check the fuse for the brake lights and it was blown. I put in a new fuse and as soon as I stepped on the brake pedal the fuse popped. If I put a new fuse in the flashers work, but as soon as I step on the brake pedal the fuse pops. I have read tons of posts but none talk about a blown fuse. Not sure if the third brake light is working. The fuse pops so fast you can't see if the third light works. Its a 20 amp fuse. I put a 25 amp in and the brake lights came on momentarily, but again not sure if the third one did. I did replace the brake switch but no change. Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 PM
spittybays

If it all was okey-dokey before you wired the harness you need to re-check that. You wired up a dead short back there. Don't go upping the amps on the fuese anymore. Poof, repaceing a whole butt load of multi-colored wires and the suicied attempt that comes with it.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member
Micscience is on a distinguished road

Yep straight suicide. You got to much current going into the brake circuit either you messed up the wiring or you have a shorted wire contacting a higher amp circuit. First thing you should do is get a wiring diagram of your brake lights. Check for exposed wire some where also.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys. I don't know if the brake lights were working before or not. I disconnected everything I did with the wiring harness to eliminate if that was the problem or not

Old 11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
Micscience is on a distinguished road

You literally have to grab each wire and inspect it not a quick glance because you might miss it.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Beginning Member

I haven't had a chance to check the wiring yet due to work, but another thing I noticed was if I put in a fresh fuse the emergency flashers work. On the other hand, if the fuse is blown and I turn on the flashers, they do not work and neither do the turn signals, which work with no brake fuse and the flashers off. I take it that is normal

Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member
ricwin is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same brake light problem on my 1996 blazer, it was and is a short in the flasher switch. After I went thru everything that you did, I was wiping the dust off my steering column in front of a reflective store showcase window and noticed the brake lights light up when activated while bumping the flasher switch in the column. I never replaced the costly switch/labor. I just wedged a piece of rubber against the switch button to keep the short from occurring and keep an eye on it to make sure it is still placed properly. Works for me. Wiggle your flasher switch some night when you are backed up against a garage door with your brake pedal depressed and see if that is the same problem.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member

Hey ricwin, I was wondering about that. My switch is loose or broken. Been waiting for a day off to take the plastics off around the steering column. Thats about the only thing I haven't checked yet. I guess I can put a fuse in and wiggle the switch around and see what happens. It's shorting out somewhere. Thanks