2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

NO power

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Starting Member
ssgtgibby is on a distinguished road
Default NO power

I've got a bit of a brain teaser. Least it's breaking my mind. Here's the deal

I have a 2001 Blazer 2wd. It's ran fine up until now. I went out and made one stop, and it started up just fine. Second stop I got back in and turned the key, the lights came on as usual, then nothing. It's like someone turned a light switch off. I tried to jump start it and nothing.. no dash lights no dome light no hood light. No clicks no nothing.. the dash is completely dark. I did get it running a few times, it ran horribly and I had to keep it at about 3 grand to keep it going, once I let off it died and then it went to nothing again. Strange thing was it the thermostate gauge, during the period of no power would move up then click and go down.. move up and click and go down. With the Key out..

I can't afford to just throw parts at it, and I can't afford to have it broke down, it's the only ride I have right now.

The battery has about 10 volts in it, which should be enough to at least give me a hood light I would think.

What I have tried:
Screaming at it
Cussing at it
Checked the grounds to the frame
Tightened the battery terminals.
Checked every fuse I can think of.

Any help Is needed please. SirGibby@gmail.com
Or reply here, either way please help.
Thank you

Old 04-10-2010, 04:22 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ssgtgibby
What I have tried:
Screaming at it
Cussing at it
Checked the grounds to the frame
Tightened the battery terminals.
Checked every fuse I can think of.
LOL!!! Its a Blazer...if you scream and holler everytime something goes wrong, you'll lose your voice for sure!!!

OK...

Mileage? From 2wd 2001, I can assume anywhere around 75k-150k. When was the last tune-up (spark plugs and wires) performed? The *keeping it at 3k or it will stall* happened to me in my 1998 with two fouled plugs!

Although, the lack of power accessories and lights and charge on your battery sounds like maybe...alternator? That too would explain the whole dying unless you were gunning it scenario.

Is the battery holding a charge? How old is the battery? Well, 10 volts should give you a light! (your bulb may burned out...dont worry...those are like $.50 )

Are the battery terminals rusty? Are the wires rusty / worn? Oy Vey!

~~~~~GOOD LUCK~~~~~ (and welcome to GM ownership )

Old 04-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
ssgtgibby is on a distinguished road

First off thanks for the response! Terminals are clean, Jumping it does nothing, had a charger on it all night, I have 13volts to it now.. and nothing.. Tried the 50amp jumpstart that's on most chargers and nothing. All wires from the battery to Alt are tight and to the starter. The light bulb has come on so I know it's not burnt out.. good one tho :-)

The LACK of power is what gets me.. or the intermittent lack of power gets me.

Mileage is about 120k or so.. even if it was the alternator it'd at least turn over wouldn't it? Least that's always been my understanding.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it a 12 volt bulb? If your battery is only putting out 10 volts its shot...might be a dead cell or two...First take the battery to autozone they will test it for free and if you have the time take the Alt with you they will test it also. (free) This way you can take care of two at one time. If they both check and I doubt it for one them is gone with only 10 volts, replace the item and try to start it again...then or maybe while you have the items out, check the plugs to see how they are. One can see a nasty plug pretty quick.
Do those things then come back and tell us how you came out.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Question

...this just came to me...does it start in Neutral?