2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Noobie here. Need some help, 95 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Beginning Member
rival904 is on a distinguished road
Default Noobie here. Need some help, 95 Blazer

Whats up guys, I just picked up a 95 Blazer with 128k on it.

Long story short it barely idles, sounds like it has a big cam in it. It does throw a CEL, but Im having trouble running down an OBD1 reader. Anyways, after talking to a buddy, he suggested cleaning the EGR valve.

I also think the truck has a vacuum leak or an issue with the brakes.What happens is the brake pedal feels like 9it has alot of resistence on its hard to push and the truck doesnt want to stop, once stopped the brake pedal keeps loosing pressure, and you can push it in more and more once stopped.

Anyways, I am digging into it to get to this EGR valve, and come across 2 things.

First is this, what is it, where does it go, etc etc.

Second are these, I take it these are for the heater? So this means my heater wont work?

Thanks guys.

In the meanwhile, Im going to keep digging into this, I have already found a few things I wasnt happy with, however my main focus is just getting it to idle correctly then I can work elsewhere.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

3rd pic those are your connections for your heater core and yes your heat wont work that great and clean your iac valve on top the gas pedal cable that valve makes your truck idle . sometimes they get stuck so yea . there should be 2 screws holding it

Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 PM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

if im correct pic 1-2 looks like your Intake Air Temperature Sensor. was it hooked to the intake hose? it should sit close to the maf sensor

Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member

Honestly, It COULD have been hooked to the intake house and I may have knocked it loose when removing it.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road

Like your buddy suggested clean out the EGR valve. Chunks of carbon get sucked into it and hold it open. You can get a gasket with a screen on it from most auto parts stores. That will keep carbon pieces out of it in the future.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member

Already got the bolts loose, still waiting for the motor to cool down. DO you know if itll snake out of there without removing anything else?

Should I just clean it out really good with brake cleaner or something and re-install?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

carb cleaner would be great to clean the egr and iac valve

Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road

It should snake out of there, but it's pretty tight. Carb or brake clean will work. What I like to do for a cleaning is turn the valve upside down and fill it full of the cleaner. use a little screwdriver and work the pintle valve up and down a few times to free it up. Dump the cleaner and then fill it up again and let it sit for a while. Keep doing that until the pintle valve moves freely. Dump it out and reinstall it. Don't forget to clean the gasket surfaces well.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I bet your idling problem is related to the braking issue. It sounds like your brake booster may have failed. That would make a HUGE vacuum leak. Plug the vacuum line between the brake booster and the intake manifold and see if that makes a difference with the idle.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazerblack
It should snake out of there, but it's pretty tight. Carb or brake clean will work. What I like to do for a cleaning is turn the valve upside down and fill it full of the cleaner. use a little screwdriver and work the pintle valve up and down a few times to free it up. Dump the cleaner and then fill it up again and let it sit for a while. Keep doing that until the pintle valve moves freely. Dump it out and reinstall it. Don't forget to clean the gasket surfaces well.
Erm, its not snaking out of there unless that coolant hose comes off.

Ill mess with it more in the morning but I dont think its going to make it.

Originally Posted by kristoph30
I bet your idling problem is related to the braking issue. It sounds like your brake booster may have failed. That would make a HUGE vacuum leak. Plug the vacuum line between the brake booster and the intake manifold and see if that makes a difference with the idle.
Ill give that a shot tomorrow, I kinda felt that the two issues were related, somehow.

Quick Reply: Noobie here. Need some help, 95 Blazer